Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

http://www.spiritofadventurefishing.com/news/fishing-tackle

Lets discuss what we want to bring, what we really should bring, what we should get to bring, what we need to borrow to bring and what we can bring to loan.

Is a Penn 4300SS to small for calico bass?

As of now I plan on bringing.....
Avet
Modified EX 2 speed (with a EX backup/loaner) on a 6-1/2" Seeker 60# rod
HXJ Raptor on a 6-1/2' Seeker 40# rod or a spiral wrapped rod on a seeker Hercules blank.
JS 2 speed on a 7' Seeker 30# rod
MX 2 speed on a 7' Seeker 30# rod
SX on a 15# or 20# rod
Penn
Modified Surfmaster 100 on a 7' Lamiglass 15#  rod
99 width Jigmaster on a 30# rod
Fathom 25N (4:1 now but I will bring the factory gears for YT on iron) on a 30# rod
113H "Tank" on a 6-1/2' Seeker 40# rod
349H on a 40# rod

I have several other reels I can bring for those that need them, including single and 2 speed Avets.  I doubt we will need any 30Ws, 50s or 70s.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Keta, thanks for starting this thread... :)

this is what i'll probably bring;

25#  MXJ(40# dyneema backing) on a 700ML  SX(40# spectra backing) on a G-270H-8' CT

30#  SALD35-2SP(60# spectra backing) on a 800M  ???  TN16A(60# spectra backing) on a GR-700-M

40#  MK-8II SEa(50# spectra backing) on a 20-60 ???   OC40(mono) on a 700MH

50#  MK-10II SEa(60# spectra backing) on a 760L  ???   GOSA 20000SW(80# spectra backing) on an OceanXtreme 7655

Dropper Loop  113H 4/0(now more special, 80# Dyneema backing) on a 765M

Jigging set-up  BX-500N on a  ???

Back-ups

25#  CS550(mono) on a PSX-808

30#  112H(mono)

40#  PG541(mono) on a CARBW765L

to be modified/updated as I learn more... :)

you can also refer to American Angler's tackle recommendation, which i think is more detailed. sorry SOA... :D :)

http://www.americananglersportfishing.com/suggested-tackle/

Big Tim

Thanks Keta! Now my wife is laughing at me as I just tore up the garage and found my old Seeker S870-7' and my Okuma Catalina CT30C...Now I need a reel clamp and a rod tip...She keeps saying "Is it June yet!!!"

I think I'm OK on rods n reels now that I read your posts. I'm sure I went overkill on hooks and jigs, but I was signed up on a different trip & just read the list they gave for suggested tackle on a 6-8 day trip.

Will Calico's hit 4-5" swimbaits? 1-2oz. jigheads??? I think I have a bunch of that stuff for shallow water kelp fishing off the central coast. What kind of Jigs to bring?

Ron Jones

Calicos will nail swim baits just like a large mouth bass or a NW black rock fish. I am a light tackle fisherman and so I've never considered it but lots of people use up to 2oz heads . I'm way more comfortable with a 1/2-3/4 oz with a 4-5" swimbait. Sometimes they aren't interested in anything that doesn't have a curly tail so I'd bring some grubs that work with the jig heads. For bait I like size 1 or 2 hooks and will go down to 4 if we have pin heads or the bass are finiky (please Lord God no on the pin heads.)

Lee, your bringing a lot of gear!! Which worries me because I wasn't planning on all that and you have more experience than me.

I am bringing a Newelled BayMaster for live bait bass on a 8' 20# All Star and a SealineX 20SHV / Millionaire 300CX-V for artificials on an 8' All Star California Calico Special.

For YT I am bringing a Newelled Albacore Special and a YellowTail special. The Yellowtail has 4:1 gears, double dogs, stainless sleeve and Alan's handle, the Albacor Special will have all of Alan Cs goodies assuming he gets then done on time. I will leave it 4:1 with a steel gear for live bait work. Besides, it worked for the old So Cal fisherman way back when. Both of these will be on Yellow Po's unless I can swing something better before the trip.

I may bring a grouper special on an Okuma halibut rod just in case we get stuck bottom fishing. Those slow gears suck to reel up empty but sure put a hurtin on the fish during the fight.

The heaviest I am bringing is my Newelled Tuna Special with all the fixins including Lee's drag insert. It is loaded with 60# and I have it bolted to a Yellow Po.

I'm bringing several pounds of plastics and even more jigs of various sizes. I'm from the Pacific North West and so I have a lot of Point Wilson darts, it is actually cool to catch a salmon off of Point Wilson with a Point Wilson dart. I don't know if anyone has caught a yellowtail with a PWD, but I intend to.

I'm open to suggestions for anything else.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Well didn't I just stir up a hornets nest. Don't ever tell your little girl what gear your taking fishing and not include the rig you made up for her Christmas present! So I'm also bringing a Penn 85 on a Penn 30# Mariner rod, I'll also bring my Shimano 300 spinner on a 8ft Shakespeare rod just in case we do have pinners and the bass want to be fly lined to. Sometimes even the slickest conventional can't cast with a baby anchovie and a hook at the end of the line.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on March 18, 2014, 02:06:25 AMLee, your bringing a lot of gear!! Which worries me because I wasn't planning on all that and you have more experience than me.
I'm a gear whore  ;D  and I want to test some of my modifications.  I also expect to loan gear out to those in need.

Captain Grabowski gave me enough Mustad ringed "J" and "C" hooks "to last my life time" and I can cover baits from tiny chovie to salami and skippies, what sizes should I bring?  I'm thinking sardine will be our largest bait unless we make bait down south.  I will bring 3 hook sabikis.

I will bring my YT iron and some for albacore.

I will bring some surface poppers.

I'm short on swim baits, especially small stuff.  What colors and size?  Some freshwater bass swimbaits are available locally.

What will I need for trolling?  I'm assuming my large marauders should stay home.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

12-25 lb:
Okuma CD-65 w Quantum Offshore Blue Runner BROS70M

20-40 lb:
Tiburonized Penn 27 with hybrid internals w/ Okuma Oceanic OC-C-701MH
Penn 970 w/ 7' no-name 20-40 lb E-glass
Okuma CT-30C w/ Okuma Catalina CT-C-661MH

40-50 lb:
Penn SSV8500LL Fin-Nor Lethal LT100 w/ Daiwa STW70MHS 7' MH
Daiwa 400H w/ Okuma CT-T-601M
Okuma CT-55N (converted from 6.2:1 to 4:1) w/ Okuma CT-T-601MH
Okuma SD-55L (to swap out with 400H or CT-55N for bottom fishing)

The "just-in-case"/trolling setups with Bryan Young's 5+1 upgrades:
2x Daiwa 600H w/ Okuma CT-T-561H
Daiwa 600H w/ Okuma BG-T-601M-1

All the conventionals have mods that I want to field test.

Big Tim

OH BOY!I'm going to learn allot on my first trip!

Ron Jones

Lee,
As far as colors, I really like green and white, Mexican flag, chartreuse and really dark colors for overcast days. Basically similar to tuna clone colors. I have never trolled off a party boat, so I'm hoping someone else can hop in here. Beings how we are not getting into big stuff presumably, I'm guessing feathers and maybe even some clones!
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

On the boat I was deckhand on we trolled feathers and diving plugs, mostly X-Raps but some Yo-Zuri Hydromags for albacore.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on March 18, 2014, 03:20:03 AM
I'm not sure how to move this to the top of this thread, but this should be a good starting point:

I will put it in my first post.

Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

What I'm bringing:
[1] Newell 220 / 15# Mono (a maybe)
Penn Power Stick 7' [12-30#]

[2] Penn 501T / 30#Spectra + 20#Mono topshot
Seeker Classic 7' [15-40#]

[3] Newell 300C / 50#Spectra + 40#Mono topshot
Seeker Pinhead-TNT 7' [30-60#]

[4] Penn 113HL / 40# Mono
Penn Senator 6'6" [30-60#]RS-RT

[5] Penn 113H / 50#Spectra
DH Uglystick 6' [40-80#]Graphite

[6] Penn 113HN / 65#Spectra
Tan Custom 6'10" [60#]

[7] 114H / 80#Mono (a maybe)
Tidewater 6' [50-80#]RS-RT

The 114H needs to be tested after upgrading.
The 113HL (dbl SS dogs, SS gear sleeve, Newell 4:1 gears) combo will be fished then may sell after the trip. Rod never used.
I have several other tani-ized Penns (Jigmasters, 111) that I will be bring for loaning during the trip.

Will talk about terminal tackle later after I hear more from yoda (alan).
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ron Jones

Rob,
Have you fished that tidewater much?
The NEX has them and the bigger all roller one at a good price but I haven't heard anything about them from anyone I trust. What do you think?
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

maxpowers

There is a discussion going around that the fleet may be stuck with anchovies vs sardines for the upcoming season.  You may have to make bait as well as fish the lighter outfits instead of the heavier stuff.  Just passing along the info.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Big Tim on March 18, 2014, 02:54:56 AM
OH BOY!I'm going to learn allot on my first trip!

me too! i've only done shore fishing when i lived in NY and this was in the early 90's...OH BOY! again... :D ;D