Newell - pinion gear frozen to spool!

Started by dylan, June 21, 2010, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marco450r

Now where can i find one of these sorry for all the Questions im new to working onnmy teels but wanna learn how to fix all my self get to know my reels and how to fix specially these tyoe of reels that they dont make no more and parts are hard to come by

Bryan Young

Mystic Reel Parts is where you can find the Penn 505 pinion gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marco450r

Oh cool thanks alot will def order one today Thanks

reel man

If you can grab a hold of the pinion gear with a pair of channel lock pliers then horizontally twist it and it will either twist off or crumble.

A word of caution be careful using chemicals or hear around the plastics.

AC49

I recently cleaned up a Penn Peerless No. 9 and encountered my first pinion gear frozen to the spool. After 2 days of soaking it in penetrating oil and working from both sides with 2 screwdrivers nothing changed. I came up with a solution that may help someone in the future. I used the pieces of wood from a common clothes peg which luckily fitted snug over the small pinion gear and with the help of lock pliers managed to work it loose with no damage to the plastic spool or pinion gear.
Some reconstructed pictures attached.

Regards
Alan

Alto Mare

This is a very good tip Alan, thanks for showing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Wow, wooden clothes pin and Vise-Grips --

What a great idea!

Thanks, Alan.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 17, 2019, 01:12:12 AMYou can use the Penn 505 pinion gear.  You will need to remove the pinion gear ring and braze it to the Penn pinion gear, because the ring is larger on the Newell than the Penn.  Then you will be good to go.

Yes, I'd heard a 505 would work but when I tried it, sure enough, the ring is smaller. So... how do you make the bigger ring stay on the smaller pinion? Got any photos of the results?

nelz

Quote from: alantani on June 27, 2010, 07:48:56 PMnewll gears have a 5:1 ratio, they are all stainless steel and a gear set costs $50 by the time you're done.  i think a 4:1 jigmaster gear set is only $15.  alan

So is the stock Jigmaster gear set a direct fit, no modification needed?

I just had a nasty mishap, accidentally tripped the lever on a full force cast with my G332F. That's a sound you don't ever want to hear from your reel!