Newell - pinion gear frozen to spool!

Started by dylan, June 21, 2010, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

guys, fishing reels!  focus ........   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Sorry Alan and crew, sometimes the stew need a little extra seasoning and as usual we get carried away. We'll try to do better from now on. Thanks! Sal ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tidetime

Maybe I can add a little info to this site as far as breaking loose rusted objects.  I have a couple International scouts.  If anyone on here knows what they are you know they rust and rust bad.  After some research I came across this info and believe me there is nothing better for breaking stuck bolts. 

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;
Penetrating oil........... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

broadway

I hear ya, Alan.  Just lightening up a depressing topic... putting a reel to sleep  :'(

Dom

Dominick

Ok! Boss.

Tidetime:  That is really good information.  That ATF and Acetone is a really potent cocktail.  I'll give it a try.  I'll also use it with caution.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

no problem!  dominick, if you have a little left over, can i snitch some?

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on April 20, 2011, 04:26:34 PM
no problem!  dominick, if you have a little left over, can i snitch some?

Sure.  We can do shots.   ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Toehi

Hello everyone!, long time lurker, first time poster. 

I'm having/had the same problem with a S550 series reel.  When I got the reel used from a friend (bought new last year, had two light trips on it) it would not go into free spool.  I took the reel apart to find the pinion gear stuck fast to the spool shaft.  I tried everything to remove the gear from with the spool shaft with out damaging anything, soaked in penetrating oil for a week, carefully heated up with torch, wrapped the gear in layers of electrical tape and tried to force it with pliers.  Nothing worked.  I finally was at wits ends and I ended up grabbing the biggest pair of pliers, clamping the pinion gear, and put my all into it.  It came off, but damaged the pinion gear teeth and spool shaft.  UUGGHH!

The bearing was also stuck in the SS bearing retainer cap, soaked for a week, lightly heated, nothing.  I ended up getting it red hot with a torch and gave it a WD_40 bath, slid right out!  The heat did something to the retainer cap, the threads ended up getting really rough, even with a light sanding it doesn't want to thread in smoothly (didn't force it)

This 550 looks like it left the factory dry, when I pulled it apart there were no traces of any type of lube.  My other Newells had a decent coating when I took them apart to service them.  I have a new spool, bearings, and drags but I'm having a hard time getting some one from Valley MFG to return my e-mails so I can order the needed parts. 

franky

Hello Toehi,

Where are you from and what part are you looking for?

Toehi

Franky, I'm in Kona, Hawaii and I need a 500 series (I have a S550) 4.6 pinion gear and 500 series (I think 300-500 series are the same) stainless steel bearing cap/retainer.  The two small stainless steel washers in the bearing retainer look a little beat but still useable.   The reel man gave me some good leads on parts but no luck yet. 

franky

Roys fishing has one in stock.  Its the pinion gear for the 550 4.6 model.  They quoted $18.00 for it.  They do not have the stainless adjustable bearing cup.  If you want, you might try to call them to see if they will ship out parts.  (808)487-7690.

Hope this helps....

Toehi

Called them up and they they told me to call Brian's.  I'll give them a call, hopefully I score there.

Toehi

Thanks Franky!! Parts on the way from Brians!

fish.killer

Alan,
I am working on a Newell S332-5 can I use the Peen 500 main Gear and Penn 500 Pinion Gear to slow this one down a bit.

Randy
<*(((((><
<*((((><

alantani

funny, i can't remember anyone ever asking this before.  i think you can, but my resident newell expert, dave mount, just passed away last month.