Bullard’s CPXtra question

Started by ReelFishingProblems, November 22, 2017, 12:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Ordered a rod dryer. On back order  :(

I am refinishing a rod, stripped, painted, and now want to put a coat of CPXtra over the blank before wrapping guides.

First question: is that recommended
Second question: what are some techniques for applying CPXtra evenly without a rod drying motor?

Saw something about using a sponge and pulling the blank through, but can't find it again.

Nick

droppedit

This works really good for me. I use the old plastic 35mm film canisters (remember them?) cut the bottom off and the cut all but the seal off the top. I then use a bit of thera-band from a medical supply store with a small hole in the top. If the taper is real fast I'll use a towel with alcohol and wipe the blank from top to bottom and slide the cup down while it is still wet. Pretty simple but get good results. I use classic coat epoxy. It gives you a little more working time but after drying for 3-4 days it is the same as the factory finish, hard as can be and when wrapping you don't get any indentations from the thread.
I'm not sure if this gif will post so if it doesn't pm me and I'll email it to you.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Tiddlerbasher

A great idea never tried it that way - next rebuild I'll give it a try - Thanks for that :)

Swami805

You can also brush it on and turn it by hand for cpxtra. There's a great tutorial on bloody decks by saltydawg. Cpxtra dries very fast so you don't need to turn it very long. Never had good results using a rod finish to refinish a blank. I'd post a link but never figured that out
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Make sure compatible with whatever you painted blank with. may bubble or at least go matte.

ReelFishingProblems

Dave,
That is a very detailed drawing of what I read about! Thank you for posting that.
John I think my paint isn't completely compatible. Even when I let the paint dry for two days, if I brush on the CPXtra it will pull some of the paint off.

I am definitely learning a ton by trying, failling, and trying again, then repeating the cycle

Thanks for your help and Happy Thanksgiving
Nick

droppedit

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on November 23, 2017, 01:35:58 PM

I am definitely learning a ton by trying, failling, and trying again, then repeating the cycle

Thanks for your help and Happy Thanksgiving
Nick

That's how it goes. Trying and trying again but every once in a while you'll do that one that stands out ;)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too and all the folks on this wonderful board!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter