Okiaya rods

Started by Three se7ens, March 19, 2014, 05:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I use the AFTCO shoulder harness.  They are well made.  I think one has more control with the shoulder harness.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

The Shoulder Harness is only built to handle 50lb Tackle Dominick. I'm sure it does well from a boat. The Bucket Harness is rated for 130lb Tackle. You come on down to Pensacola in a couple weeks and I'll show you Why. ;)
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

I guess I could have posted a few pics...

The close up shows the minor thread wrapping flaw seen at a couple of the guides.  It's really minor though, and overall, this rod appears to be a good value. Only time will tell about its durability though.

Shark Hunter

Its pretty! I will put mine to the test too.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 19, 2014, 08:15:27 AM
Adam,
Let me put it to you this way. I have one. It was a gift from the wife. Would I buy one myself? No.
The one I got was a factory second, and the Gimbal was crooked. Two of the rollers wouldn't turn at all.
They might have gotten better, but it only takes one time for me.
If you want a cheap roller rod that can take some punishment, Try one of these.
I know its not a Seeker or a Rainshadow. It has a year warranty, no questions asked. For the money and the Sheer Beauty, This price, can't be beat.

I bought a pair of these off ebay last weekend for $120.
I am in no way affiliated with them. I just think they offer a descent rod at a great price without having to spend a couple hundred dollars. I use these on my 9/0's with straight 80 lb mono. The rating is a little overkill, but that's how I like it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261422957275
When I was in Pensacola last week, My Sons Rod from Eat My Tackle had the reel seat come loose. I dropped them an email since I knew they were right up the road from me in Destin. My Son Mike Drove up there the next day and they replaced the rod for free and let him keep the old one! Hats off to you Eat My Tackle!
Life is Good!

SumthinFishy

Aloha, know this thread is a little old, but ive been using the okiaya venom pro 50/80 for several years and they have been great rods, vastly improved over the models of just a few years ago. and after extensive research, i havent found a better rod for the money. my 2 cents.

Swami805

If anyone is looking for stand-up rods feel free to drop me a line. I can't compete in price with factory rods made over seas put I can offer a set up that is custom made for you. The keys are the length of the fore and rear grip that fit you. A few inches here or there can be the difference between owning the fish and multiple trips to the chiropractor. Stand up used to be the go-to here for long range tuna in so cal. To drop all that money on a reel, and more importantly valuable vacation time it's really not that much more. Advice is always free if you have a local builder you trust or I can put something together with no frills  that will get the job done.
For harnesses, Ocean tackle research made the best harness hands down, all the long range boats had them. With the advent of rail fishing they can be had used at a very reasonable price. For a plate you almost have to try them on to see what fits your body type. A well fitting plate will give you plenty of support a poorly fitting one will absolutely ruin you for the rest of the trip.
A well fitting system lets you use all your gear to it's full potential, if one part isn't right it's going to hurt.
Just my 2 cents, back to your regular scheduled program
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Sheridan,
I don't know what your selling, but if it is Okiaya, I gave them their chance.
They are trying to improve on the original Junk they were selling, but I only buy junk once.
Very poor roller guides with Cheap Hollow Blanks and the gimbals weren't even straight.
I have some Chinese Rods, I'm not going to lie, but these are the worst when I sampled them.
My latest rod was a Barrett and it is as good as it gets.
Not a $100 rod that will chew up your line with a roller failure.
I hate to be so to the point, but I've been there and done that.
Seen them fail in person and won't have another one in my Arsenal. Just lucky it wasn't me. I prep way too much to put up with this.
You start with a Top Quality Product or you Don't start at all.
Sorry to Sound so Harsh, but when you sell a rod with a crooked Gimbal and rollers that don't even spin right out of the factory, and then try to redeem yourself that you are selling top notch rods now. Uh, No. JMO
Life is Good!

droppedit

Quote from: Swami805 on November 22, 2017, 12:54:48 AM
I can't compete in price with factory rods made over seas put I can offer a set up that is custom made for you. The keys are the length of the fore and rear grip that fit you. A few inches here or there can be the difference between owning the fish and multiple trips to the chiropractor.  To drop all that money on a reel, and more importantly valuable vacation time it's really not that much more. Advice is always free if you have a local builder you trust or I can put something together with no frills  that will get the job done.
A well fitting system lets you use all your gear to it's full potential, if one part isn't right it's going to hurt.
Just my 2 cents, back to your regular scheduled program
Sheridan

Well said Sheridan. I've seen in the past that the majority of failures have been from the ones who didn't want to spend the extra for a quality rod. It leaves a bad taste in them as now they are not fishing and wasting the rest of their trip in the cabin.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

I do everything custom Daron,Calstar,Seeker, UC to name a few. I install every component. A crooked gimbal is a non starter nor is crappy comomnents,sloppy wrapping
What I was pointing out is is fit is a very important part of stand-up fishing for large fish. The distance from the butt end of the rod to the reel is based on the size and length of the arms of the angler, a few inches matter. A plate digging into your thighs for a few hours will almost cripple you for a few days. An ill fitting harness won't allow you to put maximum pressure on a fish, especially if it's using your back. I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm just saying I've seen guys ruined for a few days from using tackle that wasn't suited to them.
Custom tackle is more than fancy colors, it's desighning a system that takes into account the particular anglers,size weight and fishing style. A rod,reel harness and plate when working in unison gives the advantage to the angeler, if one component is ill fitting or not up to the task bad things happen.
I wasn't directing anything at you Daron, I know you buy nothing but quality gear, I just see alot of posts on here about trying to save a few bucks alot of times that won't serve the angler well when chashing that fish of a life time.
If anyone is interested advice is free to get a set up that is right for you and what you have in mind.
Rant over, Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Sounds Good Sheridan.
Custom gear is where it's at.
Best of luck with your endeavor. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!