Best guides for jigging rod

Started by Topshot, March 21, 2014, 04:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Well I'm building myself a jigging rod. I'm using a batson rainshadow knife blank. I have the guide size, spacing, and degree to place them at for an acid wrap but I'm not sure what style to buy. Any help on it. Should I use lightweight frame or more of a boat style guide.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

skrilla

Are you following the Batson guide recipe? I'm pretty sure their recipe for their knife blanks call for Alps XN guides. The stainless wire boat guides I'd use if you were going to loan it out where it will see some abuse. But for yourself assuming you will be more cautious handling your rod go for the XN guides.

If your following the recipe from Batson be sure to double check your guide spacing with a proper static test. I've had to occasionally add a guide or swap out sizes.

Bryan Young

I think American Tackle has some awesome TI guides.  I know people who have slammed the rods on the rocks casting in Hawaii with guides all bent out of shape, and the rings did not pop out like other.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Topshot

I ended up going with the xn series guides from alps as you stated. Not a bad price at all for the entire set of guides. I went with a spiral wrap and it calls for a 25 stripper guide and 10's the rest of the way down the rod. I thought that was kind of strange
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

erikpowell

25 sounds a little big to me too for a conventional reel... if it was me I'd start with a 16, maybe a 20 tops.
I wonder why they recommend 25... my diawa spinning jig rods start with 25's.

Topshot

That what I wad thinking. I gonna wait till they get here and see how big the guide actually is. If it just way to big I'll probablly go with a 20 or 16. It for a baja special so I don't think I need that large of a guide.
Michael Baughman