Really need help!!!

Started by Topshot, March 24, 2014, 02:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Well I was working on a rod build of mine and I didn't notice that I got some epoxy on the reel seat. So I left it when I went out of town. When I came back I went to mount a reel on it and found out that the epoxy had gotten under one of the lock nuts and is basically glued in place. Is there ANY way I can possibly dissolve the epoxy to get it off. I don't want to lose this reel seat, as it is a rather expensive aluminum one. The epoxy I used is u-40 rod bond.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Keta

If you have a heat gun and a strap wrench you might be able to pop it loose, be conservative with the heat.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Topshot

Quote from: Keta on March 24, 2014, 02:46:26 AM
If you have a heat gun and a strap wrench you might be able to pop it loose, be conservative with the heat.
Do you think a blow dryer would work lol. If not I can go buy a heat gun tomorrow
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Try acetone like in the link first.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Topshot

I'm gonna try that acetone when I get home. Maybe soak a small rag on acetone and cover the part of the reel seat. And then hit it with the heat gun(blow dryer lol) and try twist it off. Hopefully I don't mess up the rod at all
Michael Baughman

erikpowell

Topshot, let us know how it goes for you. This is a valuable experience  ;)
If you need an alternative to acetone, I would try MEK or Methanol. They can be a little "hotter" than acetone and in my experience those 2 will soften dried polyurea bedliner faster than acetone will.

Topshot

Well the old hair dryer did the trick!! I just put the rod up and kept it spinning while I hit the reel seat with the blow dryer on high. Took about 2 minutes and it softened it up good enough to twist the lock ring un stuck by hand. Didn't even need pliers for it. Also I was able to remove most of the excess rod bond off after heating it up. But I'm still gonna try some acetone or Mek on a rag to try and clean off the glue that got down in the threads of the reel seat. So a good lesson learned. Fully cured U-40 rod bond becomes pliable after applying enough heat to it. The only thing I would be careful with is not to heat the blank up too much. If it a fiberglass rod it's not as bad but if doing it on a graphite rod I would be very careful as the graphite it bonded with an epoxy and could possibly compromise the integrity of the blank if over heated. I really appreciate the help guys. Saved me a big headache!!
Michael Baughman

Three se7ens

I'm not sure about methanol, but MEK and acetone will soften cured epoxy.  I use acetone exclusively for cleanup of epoxies.  It's one of the strongest solvents out there, and costs considerably less than MEK.  Acetone and MEK do not attack anodized aluminum like paint stripper and spray gun cleaner(that one was a lesson I was not happy to learn).

Heat ia also good, most epoxies start to soften by 150 degrees Fahrenheit and break down around 200.

erikpowell

Nice !

Now thinking about what you just wrote, there is a very good lesson to be learned by everyone from that hairdryer trick:

Just like your kids and animals...Don't leave your rods locked in a hot car!!

It's always tropical hot here in Fiji,  and almost weekly somebody brings in a newish rod with a loose seat, butt, and/or fore grip.
I've always said Fiji is the ultimate testing ground for adhesives and coatings.
The continuous heat, humidity, and UV here destroys almost any adhesive, coating, rubber, even all your best leather shoes  ;D
and just about anything left in a car for a day.
word to the wise...  ;)

Thanks Topshot !  Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Dominick

You know you are a fishing gear head that when you are in Fiji you leave the air conditioning on when your fishing gear is in the car.   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Sounds like their is a market for Coleman rod coolers.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Cone

White vinegar will clean up uncured epoxy. I've used it to clean rollers etc after use by just dropping them in a container of it. It won't help with cured epoxy.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

erikpowell

Quote from: Dominick on March 24, 2014, 06:31:36 PM
You know you are a fishing gear head that when you are in Fiji you leave the air conditioning on when your fishing gear is in the car.   ::)  Dominick

;D ;D ;D ...that just started my day with a good laugh!  So true though Dom... Landcruiser a/c is my & gear's salvation !