cabin layout

Started by alantani, March 24, 2014, 07:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the layout of the cabins and bunks is pretty simple.  anything forward of the stairway is quieter, but can get pretty bumpy.  anything aft is going to be more stable, but the engine noise can be deafening.  ear plugs are a must.  i tried the orange and green foam earplugs but was not happy with them.  i finally settled on the wax earplugs. i think they work the best.  big ear muffs or noise cancelling headphones might work if your a back sleeper.  bring sweatpants and a sweat shirt to sleep in.  the cabins can get very cold.  make sure you have a flashlight handy, plus an alarm clock if you are a heavy sleeper.  you do not want to miss out on breakfast or a good early morning bite.  

i can still climb in and out of the top bunks, but i do not want the older guys having to climb.  that will mean that the younger guys get the top bunks and the older guys get the lower ones.  you may get split up from your friends if both of you are young or both of you are old.   and then there is the issue of how far forward or aft you are.  i'm going to try to break it up as best i can, but i will need you guys to check out the cabins and let me know if you have a preference.  here is the diagram of the cabins.

QuoteThe SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE is a small passenger vessel, not a cruise ship. She is 88 feet long and 25 feet wide and provides excellent stability. Accommodations are provided in 14 small, air-conditioned cabins with limited storage space. Most cabins have upper and lower bunk beds, wall to wall carpet, and reading lights. Four toilets and three freshwater showers are located on the main deck. Meals are prepared fresh daily and all passengers are served in one seating. The galley is equipped with a TV, DVD player and natural history books. Outside seating is available on the main deck as well as on the upper deck.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Alan,
I don't really know what quite underway is, stuff me wherever is convenient.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

anywhere as long as the other person snores louder than me... ;D

Big Tim

Alan I think i can handle a top double ok, as long as I have something for my fat butt to step on...I don't mind forward either, can't be as bad as the Princess out of Moro Bay.

Tim

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 24, 2014, 08:05:26 PM
anywhere as long as the other person snores louder than me... ;D

Mel: I can out snore you!!!

Tim

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tim i can have a good nights sleep now... ;) :D ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 24, 2014, 08:10:47 PM

Mel, we better watch what we say. Alan might stick us in a cabin together next to the engine so nobody can hear us ;D ;D ;D

alantani

old guys with bad backs get the bottom bunks aft, where it's calmer but noisier.  young guys get top bunks forward where it's quieter but you get beat up more.  remember, we may be running four nights out of five.  everyone else get's something in between.  the main consideration is safety while climbing in and out of the top bunks.  there is no ladder.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Big Tim on March 24, 2014, 08:22:15 PM
Quote from: Mel B on March 24, 2014, 08:10:47 PM

Mel, we better watch what we say. Alan might stick us in a cabin together next to the engine so nobody can hear us ;D ;D ;D

LOL! that's a good one...

Alan and Ron what about June 15th lodging accommodations? i'd like to be with you guys that day... :)

alantani

my brother and i will be staying at the vagabond, right next to the landing.  still planning on dinner at miguel's cochina sunday evening.   i'm going to have to let someone else take the lead on accomodations on base. 

Norcal Pescador

I've slept 6 feet from 60kw diesel generators in the daytime before. I use a CPAP (for sleep apnea), but it's pretty quiet. A LOT quieter than my snoring if I don't use it. Annemarie said there's 120 volt outlet(s) in each cabin.
Anybody else use one?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

rob, i have you and lee pegged for lower bunks aft.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on March 24, 2014, 11:01:39 PM
rob, i have you and lee pegged for lower bunks aft.

Thanks!  :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Rob i had to google CPAP. i've been googling too much lately from fishing "jargons" parts of a ship to whatcha macallit... :)

Ron Jones

I will be staying at the Navy ASW base right around the corner. I'll have an extra rack or two if anyone wants to save on lodging.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"