Fishing off the rocks help

Started by Brute347, March 25, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Brute347 on March 30, 2014, 06:13:07 PM
...most of my friends want nothing to do with it because it's yucky and smells fishy lol

they don't know what they're missing...

Ron Jones

I concur, they require an edumacation. The only thing better than fishing from the rocks is casting into the rocks from a small boat.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brute347

Oh so true, I was there 5 hours, caught nothing! But I had so much fun, 5 hours went by in what felt to be 20 minutes.

I don't get people who'd rather be in a mall or watching tv when there's so many better ways to experience life and what it has to offer!

That's my friend and her fish!

Bryan Young

She has quite a catch. Good going. When I take people fishing I would rather they catch because it means I have a future fishing buddies.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brute347

Jeri

Hi guys,

The fact that your fishing partner caught an you didn't, isn't something to worry about, maybe the next time is your turn. You will find through a fishing life there are days when 'you' can do no wrong, and all around you can't catch – other days, the shoe is on the other foot, and nothing you can do will get the slightest bite!! That's fishing life.

From a distance surf angler's perspective, can only dream about such a fishing structure, to walk out then launch big baits out into the much deeper water – to see what is prowling around out there. We don't have such 'man-made' structures here, we have to rely on what nature has provided, but it is always the deeper water that has attraction. Can't look at any body of water, and wonder what is swimming there that is catchable!

Fishing is an addiction, been hooked for 54 years to the best of my reckoning, wives and girlfriends come and go, brief interludes with other sports and activities, but we always come back to fishing – in whatever form we pursue. I am fortunate in now having a wife that has as much passion about fishing as I do, and she now tells me when we will be going fishing – even if I hadn't planned on it.

Perhaps there should be government warnings about our addiction and advisory bodies – like 'Anglers Anonymous'???

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Ron Jones

Hi, my name is Ron, I fish a lot and that is not a problem. I don't fish ALL THE TIME, and that IS a problem.
12 steps complete. ;D ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jeri

Hi Ron,

Been there, done that, got the T' shirt. Now live within sound of the ocean, just to get my daily 'fix'. Trouble is too busy building rods to make the 1/2 mile journey to drown some bait!!!! Perhaps I should move closer???? :D

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Brute347

Haha, you guys are funny.

I used to be dropped off at a lake at 5 am and picked up at 10 at night when I was around 12. Would have so much fun on my own catching nothing, lol. Now I'm 30 and I still like fishing. Work and school have kept me from it but now that I have more time and it allows for me to fish I'm taking it. Going again this Saturday see if I catch more than a sun burn. I feel like my setup is wrong though- I'm not sure as to what artificial lures I should buy; colors, lengths, shapes, etc I'm just not sure but I'll keep trying to do some research. Otherwise I'll go back to my trusty squid with a bottom weight and toss it out as far as I can and see if letting it sit brings me luck lol

maxpowers

If you are fishing those rocks, I would bring some sacrificial weights as the fish hold tight to the structure and you are likely going to lose a lot of rigs.  Some small rocks tied with cotton twine would be ideal.  Make the knot or line between the weight and your mainline as weak as that will allow you to break off easily if snagged.  Use mussel, squid, pile worms, sand worms, blood worms.  If you stay closer to the shore, then fish right around the breakers.  A lot of near shore surf species hunt around there.  Corbinas, yellowfin and spotfin croakers, and surf perch haunt this area.  You might be able to catch some halibuts around there too.  For halibuts, if you can get some live smelts by using a sabiki, it would be killer on a carolina rig.  There are also ling cod, cabezon (your friend's fish), and calico bass around there too.  They hold tight to the rocks also.

Hope this give you some idea of what to try on the jetties next time.  PS.  make sure you both have license as some jetties are treated as ocean facing piers while other are not.

Ron Jones

The old man always taught us to fish where the second breaker out was crashing for halibut. Their are sand crabs on that beach, and I always did real good with them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Brute347

That helps a lot, what are the " breakers"?

We both bought licenses too since we'll be trying other jettys as soon as I find where others are and also surf fishing- gotta find those places too.

She got snagged about 6 times, lost a bunch of 3/4 ounce bullet weights- I think I'll just go to Home Depot and buy some nuts - or is that unhealthy for the water?/ marine life

I use squid, never used worms in the ocean before or mussels, I saw some worm bait at Walmart by big gulp but they're huge, how would you tie that to a hook? They're artificial just to be clear

Bryan Young

If you get Berkeley gulp, the best I have found are the camo sand worms.  I have tried most colors of sand worms and also gulp blood worms and sand crabs as well as I used to fish in a lot of shore fishing tournaments and the camp did the best.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maxpowers

Quote from: Brute347 on April 01, 2014, 06:17:51 AM
That helps a lot, what are the " breakers"?

We both bought licenses too since we'll be trying other jettys as soon as I find where others are and also surf fishing- gotta find those places too.

She got snagged about 6 times, lost a bunch of 3/4 ounce bullet weights- I think I'll just go to Home Depot and buy some nuts - or is that unhealthy for the water?/ marine life

I use squid, never used worms in the ocean before or mussels, I saw some worm bait at Walmart by big gulp but they're huge, how would you tie that to a hook? They're artificial just to be clear

I used to use the nuts also but have since resorted to using rocks which is better for the environment and free.  I have also heard of people using tobacco bags filled with sand as weight.  Just make sure the connection between the weight and the rest of your rig is the weakest, ie if you are using 15 lbs mainline then use 6 lbs line to tie on the weight.

The breakers are where the surf breaks onto the shore.  Typically about 20-30 feet from the shore.

Mussels are easy to find but a pain to use.  However all fish love it.  The worms you can buy from many of the local tackle stores. 

As for the gulp products, I have not had much luck from the jetties but they work great around the breakers.  You just have to fish them with a carolina rig and work it slowly.

Have fun and good fishing.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Brute347 on April 01, 2014, 04:13:24 AM
...now that I have more time...

and the money too! ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Brute347 on April 01, 2014, 04:13:24 AM
...I feel like my setup is wrong though...

next Saturday is a different day. experience and of course the AT.com people are the best teachers... :) :) :)