Fishing off the rocks help

Started by Brute347, March 25, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

ron,

do you have any hard stick bait like a luckycraft metallic sardine?  those worked great on halibuts and corvinas.

LTM

Quote from: noyb72 on April 13, 2014, 07:41:19 PM
I've fished Seal beach and love it, but I'm planning on fishing the ASW base mostly. Almost no one fishes there, in June the bight should be so hot that you can catch a fish with anything. Even the bonefish come around from time to time.
Ron
TRUE THAT! I used to fish the beach at Poin Magoo Naval Weapons systems after I serviced their super computers. I would schedule my appointments for after lunch time so I could spend the balance of the day fishing. FANTASTIC FISHING cause no one fished the beach.

Leo

Ron Jones

I have a few, but the area I'm fishing normally does well with a soft curly tailed bait. Swimbaits worked, but not as well as the curly tails.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brute347

Where are these places you guys are talking about?!

We should fish for sure if time allows Mel, hopefully I'm better at it by then.

I noticed that definitely, the weather and time of day play a huge role on whether you'll catch or not. I had the gulp shrimp baits with me and at the later part of the afternoon I cut them in 3/4 inch pieces and just used the tail end and that was getting me bites.

I guess Ill have to stick to smaller fish til I can figure out how to find the big ones because nothing was hitting the bigger soft baits. The guy I was with said he caught 7 halibut the day before off of the very spot we were in but that day he didn't get anything.

Brute347

Mmm hmmm mushrooms, asparagus and the fish so good

White rice on the side with fish sauce

Brute347

Look what came in for this sat!

maxpowers

very nice lure.  Go buy some 3x or 4x owner's treble and change out the hooks when you have a chance.  The stock hooks are good but I have bent them on big halibut before.  Some people forgo the middle hook by changing to a slightly large size treble front and back hooks.

Shark Hunter

You cook the fish Whole? It still looks Delicious! ;)
Ron, I can remember offloading at Seal Beach before my Ship made the Trip to Vancouver for the Worlds Fair. That has been a long time ago. The Memory that sticks in my mind, was that while we were offloading our good stuff. Big Mo came Cruising by. (The U.S.S. Missouri) Everyone stopped what they were doing to watch her. It was almost cartoonish all the Guns Hanging off of her. I'll never forget that! ;D
Life is Good!

maxpowers

Sculpin - one of the tastiest fish around but the pack a punch with its spines.  Got poked once and my hand swelled for a good 1/2 hour before I could fish again.  I am lucky too that the poison didn't effect me as much.  I have seen people with swellings lasting the whole fishing day.

Ron Jones

I can't get away from Mo. When I reported to Bangor one of the first things I did was help get her ready to move to Pearl and now I see her every day across the harbor. My kids tour her every year with school and we have some guys work on her during Chief transition.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I'm Glad to Hear she is still in one piece! ;D
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Oh yah, she is well cared for now. The way it is looking I'll retire on her fan tail in a few years.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

LTM

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 16, 2014, 05:41:55 AM
You cook the fish Whole? It still looks Delicious! ;)
Ron, I can remember offloading at Seal Beach before my Ship made the Trip to Vancouver for the Worlds Fair. That has been a long time ago. The Memory that sticks in my mind, was that while we were offloading our good stuff. Big Mo came Cruising by. (The U.S.S. Missouri) Everyone stopped what they were doing to watch her. It was almost cartoonish all the Guns Hanging off of her. I'll never forget that! ;D
Yea, the Moussouri is parked in San Pedro Harbor for tours AMAZING!

Leo

Brute347

Hey guys, yes. I'm Hispanic so we cook fish whole the head has tasty bits of meat lol

I took the lures for a spin but nothing. I keep getting really bad weather whenever I go. The waves were crashing on the jetty so hard, when the water would come in its come up like 7 feet. I lose about 9 3/4 ounce weights I kept getting snagged, the waves crushed my water bucket, lol.

What else- I fished from 6 am til 1130 pm, nothing. Tons of bites but no fish- it might be I'm baiting for too big a fish that's not around where I'm fishing.

Do not use water treading shoes- my lord my feet hurt so bad!!!!

Uh- just to vent. I took a friend and he pissed me off- scratched my lexa 300 and one of my daiwa saltist lever drag reels and of course both the teramar rods. He was treating my gear like it was 19.99 on sale half off for 9.99 stuff! Last time he comes.  That stuff is brand new gd it!

I need to do more research. I tried using 12 pound line, that was stupid. I completely forgot that's for the surf so I got screwed there, gonna go get me some 30 lb p line once I've eaten breakfast.

I kid you all not- greatest thing. A guy up from me HAD a 199.99 rod from Walmart that he bought years ago, had 2 spark plugs he was using as bait and had the biggest sculpin I have ever seen, easily 30 inches!!!!! Monstrous, I let him borrow my measuring tape because he was worried the one he had just caught wouldn't make the cut. And last month he got a 700 dollar ticket for too small a sculpin. Insane, 700... Yes 2 zeros

all in, I had fun. Just disappointed that my stuff got abused and I didn't punch him in the face.

Next sat I'm gonna see if I can go to palos verdes I've heard it's gorgeous!!!!

And yes- the sting from a sculpin is pretty good, I got stung on the hand last week and it hurt, and my smart but had the fish in a plastic bag- so guess what happened? I was walking with it and took about 4 more stings right at the base of my calf and that felt nice shifting my car with a sorta numb foot lol

maxpowers

glad you're ok on the sting Brute.  Next time if you catch a keeper sculpin, use your pliers or scissors and clip off all the spines.  prevent any possible sting.