Phenix Black Diamond Blank

Started by Redfish King, March 26, 2014, 03:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

Im a rookie rod builder looking at my first Phenix Black Diamond blank its really flat black with no finish at all just sorta like pencil lead looking.The look is pretty cool and the blank feels great its the model PSW968MH-b from mudhole.My plan is to wrap and finish the guides and leave the rest of the blank alone no paint no finish just leave it flat.Has anyone built one of these? Will leaving it unfinished invite scarring and scratches possibly leading to structural failure?Or are these bad boys able to stand on there own?

Chris Gatorfan

Not sure whether not adding a finish to those blanks will lead to any damage to it in the long run But I do know they make for a great Cobia Rod....
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Redfish King on March 26, 2014, 03:23:53 AM
Im a rookie rod builder looking at my first Phenix Black Diamond blank its really flat black with no finish at all just sorta like pencil lead looking.The look is pretty cool and the blank feels great its the model PSW968MH-b from mudhole.My plan is to wrap and finish the guides and leave the rest of the blank alone no paint no finish just leave it flat.Has anyone built one of these? Will leaving it unfinished invite scarring and scratches possibly leading to structural failure?Or are these bad boys able to stand on there own?

All of the factory wrapped Black Diamond's I have seen have that flat dark gray/black look.