how to save a newell bearing cup

Started by alantani, March 26, 2014, 10:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

how to save a newell bearing cup

normally these get tossed, but they are getting fewer and fewer.  you can't throw these away anymore, so we have to get these rusted bearings out and put new ones in.  you can pull all you want.  it will never come out unless you loosen it first.  

first, vise grips for the base.  do not touch the threads.

next, get a dremel with a cutting wheel.  

cut a slot straight across the top.  don't be shy, you may have cut deep.  

next, find a screwdriver blade that fits the slot.  get out a file and make one if you have to.  file it down to size so that it fits squarely in the slot with no play.

if it doesn't fit perfectly, file it down until it does.  the outer edges of the blade have to reach both sides of the outer race but not touch the bearing cup.  now give it a twist!

feel it give and twist it just a little.  adding a penetrating oil and letting it soak overnight is fine, but i never have that kind of time.  when i come across a problem like this, it needs to be resolved immediately.  

ok, NOW you can flood it with oil.  

i use my little electric screwdriver and spin for a good 10-20 seconds.

now you can use a pair of needle nose pliers or wire cutters and pull it right out.  congratulations, you just saved a newell bearing cup.  

the original post and discussion can be found at http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10238.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

josa1

This is just a really great procedure.  I'm sure it would work on other similar bearing cups.

Thanks!

josa1