Ambassadeur brake block upgrade

Started by slugmeister, March 27, 2024, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slugmeister

I hope this isn't really common knowledge, but I couldn't find anything about this online. I bought a new plastic 6 pin brake block assembly to replace the old 2 pin metal one on my old 5500C. It is a drop in fit, no mods needed. I used part #1116727 - 20B from Dadsoletackle. Some might argue that 2 blocks is enough. Maybe it is, but trying to screw around with the different color blocks on the water with teeny tiny little blocks was a nightmare. There's a reason I bought this, I've lost all of my brake blocks along the way. This new setup the blocks are captive, you can't loose them. You push them in until they click to disengage them. I don't adjust my brakes often, but is sure is nice to be able. There are also magnetic brake options for these, but they are not tool-less adjustable from what I've seen. After fishing with my 6 pin 5501C3, I'm leaning towards the centrifugal being a better system than magnetic, at least for me throwing relatively large and heavy lures. Hopefully this helps someone.

oc1

The centrifugal brakes work by friction; stuff rubbing together.  Magnetic brakes work by Lunz's magical unseen forces.  I'll take magic any day.

tincanary

Centrifugal is best for larger lures since braking force is applied at the start of the cast and gradually tapers off as the spool slows.  Magnets on the other hand, are most effective in the middle and end of the cast since the braking force is a constant, especially in linear magnetic brakes like the Abu MagTrax system.  There's also the Daiwa Magforce brake, which we will probably see implemented in more reels once the patent expires.  Magforce works similar to a centrifugal brake.  An inductor on the spool moves relative to spool speed.  The faster the spool is spinning, the further into the magnet assembly the inductor moves.  The Magforce is also constant, the magnet assembly and inductor will still interact and not be completely off when the spool is moving slow or at rest.  Magforce is probably one of the easiest and most effective brakes out right now.  Those Daiwas with the SV spools are super simple to cast and have a short learning curve for newcomers.  SV spools are typically used for short range casting.  Then there is Magforce Z which is a little different and more conducive to distance casting.  Both work on the same principle. 

slugmeister

Magic is fine, I simply have not seen a mag setup for an ambassadeur that you could adjust without a screwdriver to take the side plate off, then you need to add or remove magnets.. If you only throw a certain size of bait and like set it and forget it, they probably work fine. The centrifugal brake on the ambassadeurs works really well, the only problem with the old system is to adjust them you used different brake blocks which are tiny and super easy to drop and loose forever. This new 6 pin setup you don't have to change the blocks, you only engage or disengage as you want. There's no tools needed to take the handle side off an ambassador, you can adjust a brake in under 30 seconds. It's really nice when you could be throwing lures from 1/2 ounce to 5 ounce in the same day.

JasonGotaProblem

Dude I make adjustable mag brakes. I'm not the only one. I have a thread on them here
https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,36075.0.html
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

slugmeister

UKChris1

Abu make (or made - not sure if it is still available) the 6000C Mag Elite with green sideplates. This has a sliding button on the edge of a sideplate allowing you to adjust the amount of magnetic magic from almost zero to enough to cope with even my hamfisted casting of 5oz leads.

It is a seriously lovely little reel.

It also has the little wire prongs for the sliding brake blocks if you need them as well!

Edit: Oops it is the 6000C not 7000C