Penn Mag Power 970

Started by Alto Mare, March 29, 2014, 11:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: alantani on January 01, 2015, 06:05:07 AM
check to see if the gears are attracted by a magnet or now.  i think these gears are plain stainless steel.

I checked that before I put it all back togther. The gears are magnetic, so Its definitely plain SS.

Porthos

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 01, 2015, 02:45:05 AM... so I got mad and dremeled it out  ;D...

Always better to keep a level head and avoid rushing things. Took me two years to be mentally ready and decide on a fix for my 970. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9889.0

Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Went out and tested the reel. With some 1-4oz. Lures. Does cast decent for lack of free spool, but not what I expected for a mag control reel. I'm not sure if it's me as there still is only about 2 seconds of free spool for this reel with the mag backed all the way off.

Alto Mare

I'm no good casting conventional, but with the 970's I almost emptied the spool on both reels the last time I used them., They were loaded with appr. 300 yrds of mono.
If you're not crazy about that reel, send it over and i'll send you a stock 501 in decent shape, a ss bridge , yoke and jack, no gears or sleeve though...let me know.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 15, 2015, 12:17:12 AM
I'm no good casting conventional, but with the 970's I almost emptied the spool on both reels the last time I used them., They were loaded with appr. 300 yrds of mono.
If you're not crazy about that reel, send it over and i'll send you a stock 501 in decent shape, a ss bridge , yoke and jack, no gears or sleeve though...let me know.

I think Ill hold on to the reel  ;D. Ill try it out again, few more adjustments to make. If anything, Ill use it as a vertical jigger. What kind of free spool time do you get on yours?

Alto Mare

Not much, but they cast really nice. I use those on the boat as well... nice reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Well, something of a budget-buster for sure, but finally... SCORE!! 

SOA, here we come!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Aiala, that's a beauty. Is it new?...love those reels.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2015, 10:12:12 PM
Aiala, that's a beauty. Is it new?...love those reels.

Sal, yup! It was offered as NIB... and to all appearances, that's exactly what I got.

Question: What line do you use on yours? I'm beginning to think that I may have to move into the braid world (albeit with some apprehension) and was wondering if the 970 would be a good place to start?  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Nice!
I had mine loaded with 40lb braid with 20-30 yds of 50lb mono. These cast pretty far, I kept losing my 5oz weight and lure right before it hit the water. I haven't been using braid for long though.
I'm going back to 17 or 20lb straight mono for those.
I'm wondering if others have had that same problem or is it just me :-\.
You did good Aiala. ;)

Sal

Porthos

Mine has 400+ yds of 50lb braid with a 15-20yd topshot of 40lb mono. I just need it to cast 10yds from the boat; have not attempted to distance cast with it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Porthos on January 30, 2015, 10:59:05 PM
Mine has 400+ yds of 50lb braid with a 15-20yd topshot of 40lbmono. I just need it to cast 10yds from the boat; have not attempted to distance cast with it.
Yes I could see that, I could keep it on for the boat, i have a few of these ;D

Porthos

I scored this set of 970 side plates earlier this month...

...now I have TWO spare sets.  ;D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2015, 10:53:07 PM
Nice!
I had mine loaded with 40lb braid with 20-30 yds of 50lb mono. These cast pretty far, I kept losing my 5oz weight and lure right before it hit the water. I haven't been using braid for long though.
I'm going back to 17 or 20lb straight mono for those.
I'm wondering if others have had that same problem or is it just me :-\.
You did good Aiala. ;)

Sal

Are you using it at the braid to mono connection?

Alto Mare

Here is how I do it