Penn Mag Power 970

Started by Alto Mare, March 29, 2014, 11:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pelagicide on August 31, 2018, 05:34:44 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 21, 2014, 01:03:26 AM
As mentioned above, I really like these reels, but the rod clamp bolts don't make sense to me and I'm not crazy about them

Where did you get the replacements from?

Right now I'm puzzling over how to replace the bearings without doing a complete teardown of the reel. I'm assuming I'll have to take the right sideplate off, but am wondering if I have to take the left one off. This is a little more involved than my Jigmaster, where all I have to do is push a button and the entire left side and the spool come out. Are there any other internal upgrades I can do without grinding the sideplate to fit a second dog in, maybe something like new gears to make the retrieval rate faster. I still haven't found a new handle and power knob - I like round knobs, my Star 7000 has a perfect knob of eurathane, maybe I can buy one and use that ....

I had to go back and look, this post is almost 5 years old. Still worth keeping though, it is a nice post :)

On the bearings, there is no need for you to teardown the reel, you could replace those by removing the bearing cups.
It might be a little easier on you if you remove the handle and star to get to the right side cup.

The posts for the rod clamp come from here:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Search.aspx?k=33N-113SP

Upgrading to a second dog, I don't think there is a way to do so without grinding the plate.

There are no faster gears available for this reel that I know of, but keep in mind it already has 4.25:1 gear ratio...I don't call that slow.

Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Riy2018

I had old Penn 970 used condition.
I ordered MAG Kit from England for Daiwa Reel.
after I removed old Penn magnet, new MAG kit was installed but was little bit loose, so round plastic tube was cut and placed between Mag Kit and original side plate housing. So will be testing on weekend to see how mag conversion kit is working.

But another problem I have with same side plate bearing- it is loose and need to be replaced. However I was unable to remove bearing shield/cap.
Could you please advice where I can order mini pulling tool?

Thank you

Bryan Young

I use a small screw driver between the shield and bearing and twist and move and twist and move until it pops out.  To press in the shield, I use the back of a socket that is flat and use a rubber mallet and give it one good strike and it seats well and flat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Riy2018

Thank you. I will try. I just was afraid not to brake it.

Alto Mare

Riy, if you're not comfortable using a screwdriver, try these picks.

They're a couple of dollars at Harbor Freight. Should pop that retainer right out with zero damage.

I also use them to pop the shield off bearings that are stubborn

Nice tool to have.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Somewhere here Alan or somebody showed a tiny screwdriver with the tip bent 90 degrees.  File the bent tip until it will fit down the inside hole and the bent part will catch the lower lip of the race.  You can really use any small metal rod as long as it will bend 90 degrees without snapping off.

Then, there's the micro torch method.  Gee, If you do a search for "bearing puller" from the AT home page you will find over a hundred posts about pulling bearings.  The toilet paper trick is one of my favorites.
-steve

Alto Mare

You're right about using anything with a 90 degree bent Steve, but I believe Riy is talking about the retainer on top.
Besides, pullers might not work in these particular bearings, there are other components to deal with, as springs and spacers.

Sal

oc1

Sorry, I didn't understand.... again.
-steve

Riy2018

Thank you very much! Im going to Home Depot for hook tools. look like dentist tools.

By the was what is the best place to buy bearings? Im not happy with Ebay now, they charge tax and returns/exchanges another also extra money.

GooseCreekRods

I realize this is an old post, but it came up when I did a search for the Penn Mag Power 970 and 980. I recently purchased one each of these in near mint condition but didn't know a thing about them. By all appearances, it looks like they are highly thought of and are pretty good reels.
Goose Creek Rod & Reel
Indian Trail, NC

Porthos

Quote from: GooseCreekRods on September 10, 2019, 09:22:48 PM
I realize this is an old post, but it came up when I did a search for the Penn Mag Power 970 and 980. I recently purchased one each of these in near mint condition but didn't know a thing about them. By all appearances, it looks like they are highly thought of and are pretty good reels.

JUST DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SIDE PLATE SCREWS!!!

(Yes, I yelled intentionally.)