Another long term 6/0 project

Started by Rothmar2, March 31, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

WOW!!! Beautiful reel. Great work. This IS what this site is all about. Thanks for sharing Rothmar2.!
luck is the residue of design.

Rothmar2

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 25, 2014, 03:47:40 AM
Rothmar2 is a genius. ;D

Errrrr, far from it Sal. I think you might be trying to get the spotlight off yourself here, LOL! Too funny and too kind. I just enjoy having a go at things in life. I have been inspired by many here that are more worthy of the genius title than I am.
Have fixed the ratchet spring problem, and am working on a couple other extra little twists to finish this reel off. I won't be able to show anything until I get home from work in a few weeks time due to Email and data restrictions on the ships satellite system.
David, I have my eye on the rod I want, and already have the PE 5 line to go on it. My main use for this reel will be bottom baiting for striped trumpeter, they can be found from 50-200m water depth depending on locations and time of year. But I also will use this reel for mid sized SBT's, with a topshot of 50lb mono, for when the guys I fish with go on our "tagathon" missions to some remote locations where the fishing can be amazing. The vast majority of the tuna we encounter are in the 30-60lb class, but there is always a chance a genuine "blue cow" could jump on. One of them on this reel will have me looking to install harness lug slots on the inner stainless rings quick smart! For now I'm going to chance it. I'm hoping this will happen on this leave home. Will post a couple of pix of the reels conquests in time.
I'm also building a line-winder ATM. Work in progress. Thanks to those who have posted theirs on this forum. I have been suitably inspired by them all, but Tiddlerbashers is a masterwork I must say.
I'll also get around to finishing off my TLD double dogging post as well, if there is interest, I will make some tools to help with doing this mod for others. It really makes a big difference to these robust little workhorses.
I also have another project I am going to share with you all involving an old Diawa. More on that later.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on November 25, 2014, 10:07:41 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 25, 2014, 03:47:40 AM
Rothmar2 is a genius. ;D

Errrrr, far from it Sal. I think you might be trying to get the spotlight off yourself here, LOL! Too funny and too kind. I just enjoy having a go at things in life. I have been inspired by many here that are more worthy of the genius title than I am.
Have fixed the ratchet spring problem, and am working on a couple other extra little twists to finish this reel off. I won't be able to show anything until I get home from work in a few weeks time due to Email and data restrictions on the ships satellite system.
David, I have my eye on the rod I want, and already have the PE 5 line to go on it. My main use for this reel will be bottom baiting for striped trumpeter, they can be found from 50-200m water depth depending on locations and time of year. But I also will use this reel for mid sized SBT's, with a topshot of 50lb mono, for when the guys I fish with go on our "tagathon" missions to some remote locations where the fishing can be amazing. The vast majority of the tuna we encounter are in the 30-60lb class, but there is always a chance a genuine "blue cow" could jump on. One of them on this reel will have me looking to install harness lug slots on the inner stainless rings quick smart! For now I'm going to chance it. I'm hoping this will happen on this leave home. Will post a couple of pix of the reels conquests in time.
I'm also building a line-winder ATM. Work in progress. Thanks to those who have posted theirs on this forum. I have been suitably inspired by them all, but Tiddlerbashers is a masterwork I must say.
I'll also get around to finishing off my TLD double dogging post as well, if there is interest, I will make some tools to help with doing this mod for others. It really makes a big difference to these robust little workhorses.
I also have another project I am going to share with you all involving an old Diawa. More on that later.
Typical genius, never willing to admit they really are ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

This is my first time reading this thread and I am amazed..!! It makes me want to go buy machining equipment but I would never have the time to learn.

Wonderful Job..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

Quote from: handi2 on November 26, 2014, 12:00:21 AM
This is my first time reading this thread and I am amazed..!! It makes me want to go buy machining equipment but I would never have the time to learn.

Wonderful Job..!!

I could do this too but there's a real good reason reels aren't made from wood!

Maxed Out

[/quote]

Sure there are wood reels David, and guys still use them(not me lol). google "peetz"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Quote from: Max Doubt on November 27, 2014, 01:51:15 AM

Sure there are wood reels David, and guys still use them(not me lol). google "peetz"
[/quote

" building quality reels of wood and brass since 1925"
And a lifetime warranty to boot,
Not sure I care to experience palming a wooden reel with an albacore on the line!  Can you say friction burn!

Rothmar2

Quote from: handi2 on November 26, 2014, 12:00:21 AM

Wonderful Job..!!

Cheers Handi2. You can learn to use machining equipment, if I can do it, anyone can. There is so much good stuff on Youtube, and on the web these days. Tubolcaine on Youtube has a whole host of fantastic demo's, and is highly recommended to look up. It really will add an extra dimension to your reel servicing having a few turning skills up your sleeve.

Tonight I completed the reel to where I'm ready to take it fishing. I will post photos when I'm able in a couple of weeks, of the last couple of little tweaks I decided to do.

I would just like to make a few thank you's at this point.

Firstly, to everyone who posts pictures of their Senator builds on here, you have all in some way helped me to visualise where I wanted to take this little project. Please keep it up, its what helps many on here.

To Keta (Lee) for the offer behind the scenes to water pre-cut the rings from the 316 plate. If only I lived closer! A very generous offer all the same. If anyone is contemplating having a go at machining the rings, if you can get access to a water cutter, I thoroughly recommend it!

To Robert Janssen for opening my eyes to lathe spinning. Something I would still like to try some day.

To everyone who offered kind words of support in their posts on this thread, I really appreciate it. Respect to you all.

To Alan C, for his continual ability to make upgrades available for us reel tragics. May you continue to assist pushing the boundaries for these reel's capabilities. I hope its making a few dollars for you, so you are able to continue to make the visions a reality.

To anyone associated with Tiburon here. The frame and spool kits are awesome!

To Scott's Bait and Tackle for their superb overseas service.

To Sal, I really appreciate the guidance you have given me on more than one occasion, behind the scenes.......dunno about the "genius" call though, jury will be gone a long long time on that one! Oh yeah, Daron (Shark Hunter), you put the idea in his head in the first place!!

To Alan T, for sending me the T60NK kit, at a very reasonable price. I hope I have done the kit some justice with what I have shown here. Thank you for one of the best and most informative Forums out there, and keeping this place one of the best to visit on the web.

And to all those who have......."Thanks for reading". I hope I have been able to give you some inspiration for doing some of these sort of things to your own reels. Would really like to see some pix from others who have had a go and modding these classic reels, and breathing new life into them.

Will get some more photos up ASAP.

DaBigOno

Awesome thread!

Thanks for taking us along for the ride  :)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Hi again. Finally on my way home and am able to add to this thread.
You may have noticed during the course of this that the free-spool lever was slightly bent. This was to allow it to clear one of the side plate screw heads. And it had bothered me somewhat. Here's what I did about it.
First started off with some 5mm 316 flatbar. Centre pop roughly where the centre of the key slot will be

The goal here is to build a lever with a step to give extra clearance over the side plate screw head. Set the piece into a four jaw chuck and line the centre pop mark up with a dead centre in the tail stock. I also put a parallel block in behind the piece as I was aligning it to keep it fairly true to the tool (good enough in this case). Begin skimming the flatbar to create the step. Drill out the centre at some point.

I was aiming for a step height a shade over 1mm. Once happy with the height, then trimmed the step diameter to be the same as the original piece.

Take the piece out of the chuck and align the original lever over the step that's just been machined, and clamp down with a washer and bolt. I used a flat sided needle file to scribe around the original piece to get the shape

Then while the bolt was still tight, taped off over both pieces, and reclamped with some small vice grips. I could then remove the bolt to scribe out the key-slot.

All marked out

Next I had to make a mandrel to mount the flatbar on so I could trim the lever down to the same thickness as the original. Had an offcut from a copper electrode that would do nicely. Drill the centre out to give clearance for the step already machined. Tapped an M6 thread in the flatbar on the scrap end of the piece to help keep it clamped solid.

Mount back in chuck, align the bolt through the centre of the key slot close enough to centre axis of lathe

Skim the flatbar down to the same thickness as the original lever, remove from chuck.

Unbolt the machined piece from the mandrel, punch the location for the top hole, and drill 4mm for the M4 bolt which will be used for attaching the stopper

Then begin filing the lever to final shape

Couple of hours of filing and ready for test fit

Quick check of clearance over the offending screw head, all good

Then polish the lever and screw up to a high shine

Now I decided to make the stopper out of Delrin. With the original lever, there was quite a clunk at the ends of travel, and I also was concerned with continual use, that the stopper would get damaged over time.
The Delrin certainly cushions the impact a little, is much quieter, and replaceable with the M4 bolt through it. I put a little locktite on the bolt to secure the stopper.

You'll notice there is a slight difference in stopper diameter, this in no way affects the engage/disengage of the jack and yoke.
I will post the ratchet spring fix as soon as I get some time.

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Rothmar!
I can only imagine the metal splinters you get. ::)
Solid Work! ;)
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Everytime I see another revival on this thread I end up looking at the whole thread again and it never gets old. Thanks for sharing the making of a true work of art.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rothmar2

Here is what I did to solve my loose ratchet rivet problem. Firstly I used the dremel tool shown in a drill press on high speed to remove the top of the rivet.

Notice how I have the M3 SS nuts grooved to provide a good hold for the epoxy. These can be done on the drill press with a file. Carefully widen out the recesses until they are just wide enough to take the nuts, and deep enough that the nuts will be flush with the plate. Once happy with this step, mix up some epoxy and fill the recesses about 1/3 full .

Before embedding the nuts in the epoxy, I smeared a little silicon grease on the threads of the bolts.
Place the nut/bolts into the epoxy, fill any cavities, or scoop away excess epoxy, and allow to cure.

Once the epoxy has cured, trim down the bolts so they won't bottom out with the copper spring in place.

Place some loctite (high strength) on nut threads

Bolt in the spring

Refit the ratchet, and all done

I will post the finished photos soon.