Another long term 6/0 project

Started by Rothmar2, March 31, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Broke it in today! Despite it being perfect SBT weather, they weren't really on the chew, but did manage 1.

Unfortunately as it seems to be becoming more commonplace in our waters these days, the seals ruined it somewhat. But did get a couple of belter runs against 8kg of preset drag, enough to feel that the gears will still need a bit more "bedding in".

Amazingly we were able to wrangle the fish aboard from the sea-dogs without it getting too badly mauled. Didn't have any scales, but would estimate this one to be 30-35lb.

Hopefully, there will be a few more decent fish to come.

All up, we tagged 3, lost another 3 to seals, pulled hooks on 2, and had a break-off, probably due to a seal.

Anyway, for now, this reel at least shown me what it can do. I think it's capable of much more.

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Beautiful Chris! You put in a lot of work in that reel, nice to see you fishing it, looks like its compensating you nicely. ;)
Thanks for the report.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Great Job Chris. I see you are sporting a Black Magic Fighting Belt . I have to get me one of those.
They are the best made Belt out there.
Glad you got that one from the lions. ;)
Life is Good!

Marcq

Cool!!! Always nice to see a fish caught with a customize  reel  8)

Marc..

steelhead_killer

This whole thread should get the sticky treatment.  What an artisan.  Kudos!  Just amazing!

Andy
><)))">

Rothmar2

Thanks for the generous words Andy.

I've actually done a couple of little mods to this reel in the last year or so. I got told in no uncertain terms that if I ever wanted to try for a sword with this reel, I'd have to get the harness lugs fitted. Sorry to those who loved the "sleek" look.

Back on page 6 and post #79 I made the comment about the gap between the crank, and the drag star with no pressure on the spacer sleeve. If you look closely, I have made a delrin washer to take up this space.

Actually taking this reel fishing Wednesday. Kicking it old skool. There will be a modified Chinese 114H (extra dog and SS gear sleeve), the Jigmaster 500, and the Tank along as well.
 This will be my last attempt with the Tank before sending it back to America. There have been a lot of BFT from 150-280lbs caught lately. Hoping we can hook at least one.

David Hall

Now this makes it all worth while, seeing them in action.
Hope you get a chance to put the tank on some blood.  BFT Shouls do the trick!
Best of luck to you!

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rothmar2

Quote from: coastal_dan on January 08, 2017, 11:34:55 PM
:o. Any fishy updates?

Sorry Dan, I've been gloriously uncontactable the last couple of weeks, away on holidays, virtually no internet or mobile phone coverage, bliss!

Last time the reel was fished was in this report.....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15832.150

I was supposed to be going on a day trip with this reel, and the two Jigmasters, two and a bit weeks ago, but the day before I speared myself through the webbing between thumb and forefinger on my right hand when a screwdriver slipped on something tight I was trying to undo. That was me out instantly, but I'm now fine. I needed heavy antibiotics to kill the resultant infection. Still hoping to try and get a sword on it this season.
Thanks for your interest.

ez2cdave

Three years goes by very fast . . . Amazing work !!!

Tight Lines !

Rothmar2

It sure does! To think the next "project" I have taken on is still not finished.....
Hopefully this reel will get a shot at a sword when I get home in a few weeks.
Thanks for the kind words.

Donnyboat

Hi Chris, first time I have looked at this post, great job, truly a talented man, inspiring, thanks for showing us all your magic, hope you get to land a real large fish, you deserve it mate, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rothmar2

Thanks Don, unfortunately I haven't had much opportunity to use this reel the last couple of years. There has been a major upheaval with my work situation, and am not home much these days, so what little time I am home is largely devoted to family. Hoping there is a light beginning to shine at the end of the tunnel, and by next season, I can give this reel much more work.

sdlehr

Wow, I can't believe I'm just now reading this post for the first time. What amazing work! I'm very jealous of 1) your talents and 2) the tools you have available for the job. I'd love to be able to do work like this!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector