Another long term 6/0 project

Started by Rothmar2, March 31, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Recently got given a 114HL to do what I pleased with. Usual story, had been sitting in corner of someone's shed, had parts pilfered from it, broken drag star, rings all cracked, basically looking pretty sad. But after reading plenty of threads on here Tanking these old Senators, I thought "I can do that", but with a twist. I figured as a first step to restoring this reel, I'd challenge myself to make new rings....from stainless.

First up was to get some 316, 6mm plate with which to cut them from. Not having access to a plasma cutter, meant it was going to take a fair bit prep work to get discs fabbed to work from. Before going to work, I cut myself 5, 125 x 125 squares from the 400 x 400 piece I bought.

Once at work, first thing I made was the drilling template for the ring's holes. Found a piece of scrap 8mm plate for this.
 Measured the spigot diameter where the rings mount on the side plates, was surprised to find quite a difference between the left and right sides.

Left  103.85mm
Right 104.15mm

So I decided to turn the template down to the left side diameter.  Cut a square about 120mm from the 8mm plate, found the centre, marked the final diameter roughly, and trimmed the square to a octagonal shape. Drilled the centre with a 8mm drill. Mounted the plate on a crude mandrel arrangement and turned it down to size, being careful until the plate was true'd to a circle.

Next up, made an insert to fit in the bearing bore to take a M8 bolt to help centre the right side plate over the template.

Located an old pin punch and skimmed the shaft down to a snug fit for the screw holes in order to transfer punch the centres of the holes to the template for drilling. Tubolcain on YouTube has a couple of good videos on this.

With the hole centres transferred, the 8 holes were drilled with a 4.5mm drill (didn't have the correct size imperial drill at work, so this was close enough).

A quick check with a few screws to make sure all was OK. The holes lined up very well.

Now for the stainless. Mark the centres of the pre-cut squares and scribe oversize circles for the ringside. Drill the centre's M8. I kept a pretty slow chuck speed, 250 rpm, and plenty of cutting oil. Didn't burn out the HSS bit.

Trimmed the squares to rough octagons with angle grinder and 1mm cut off wheel.

Mount plate onto mandrel and true up. Note all stainless turning was done at 140rpm, HSS bits, with copious emulsified cutting coolant. It was a slow tedious process.

Once I had 4 pieces tru'd up, next thing is to cut the ring blanks from the plate. Had to shape up a tool for this process that would not rub as it parted off. Despite trying to manage the heat build up, it still required sharpening a few times as this procedure was tough on the tool.

Finally got the blanks separated ready for turning to size to fit the side plates. This prep work was the most difficult part of making these parts.

Now to the business end. Mount the roughed out rings into the chuck. Used an external jaw as a parrallel to get it close enough to being true.

First cut the internal bore of the ring, a shade over 86mm diameter.

Then scoop out to accommodate the side plate

It doesn't matter if you bore too deep, it can be trimmed back later.

Just make sure to leave enough thickness of the face flange to true up when the ring is remounted on the chuck. Mark the position of one jaw where is clamps to the ring, minimizes your errors a little.

Remount ring on chuck, tightening jaws outward.

Face off the flange to correct thickness, 1.1mm.

Then turn down the outside diameter, maintaining a stainless thickness of about 1mm.

Once I was happy with the ring fits on the side plate spigots, time to drill the screw holes.

Fit ring onto template made earlier. The left plate rings should be a very snug fit

Drill one hole with 4.5mm bit, plenty of cutting fluid. Chuck 400rpm.

Place a M4 screw through and tighten down. This will prevent the ring moving on the template. Drill next hole, and add another screw. This was sufficient for the left side rings, but I used 3 screws for the right side rings.

All drilled. Repeat for other rings. I used a couple of small pieces of 0.15mm shim steel to snug up the right side ring's fit on the template.

Removed any little burrs with deburrer or a grind stone in the Dremel.

Also used a buffing disc to smooth off the outside surfaces.

For the gear box profile, bolted on the original ring over the new stainless one and marked the indent with a permanent marker. The area to be removed was carefully roughed with a file, then the Dremel was used with a grinding stone.

Final check for fit, and assembly.

Will polish the rings to high shine at a later stage.

So far have put about 30 odd hours into making these rings. Probably an hour or two more to polish to a high gloss.
Another note, I had to wear leather gloves while handling parts and the lathe. There are a lot of fine needle like shavings that are created making these, was picking splinters out of my hands constantly, even with gloves on.

Hoping to get a T60NK kit for this reel. I have already got the stainless sleeve, will possibly go the BP Gears down the track. Will be making some more stainless parts, the old ratchet system will be remade, and the spacer under the star are the next on the list. I intend to not bother with the harness lugs, but will make some filler pieces to take up the space under the rings. Will also take to the side plate for the extra dog(s). Have already made those.
Will post again when I have made some more progress.

Tile

Absolutely amazing  :) . Now all it's needed is a Tiburon frame and a full stainless steel geartrain and sleeve.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Tightlines667

Wow!
That is impressive stuff! 
Nice work!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Beautiful work, can't wait to see what else you have. Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SacFly

Very nice.  And thanks for putting together the presentation.  Very interesting to see a metal artist at work!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

That is a piece of art.

Can you imagine if that was programmed in a cnc machine...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

photo of the month!  let's send this man a wrench!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mandelstam

If this is the first step, I'm very excited for the next one!

;D :o ;D

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Chris Gatorfan

Beautiful workmanship there. It is amazing the work some of you guys can turn out witht these lathes...All I can say is WOW!!!
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Bryan Young

Can you imagin have these type of rings on your 16/0, 14/0, 12/0, 10/0, 9/0, 4/0, 3/0, 2/0, and 1/0 senators?  I'm starting to drool and I don't even own many of those reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Lovely workmanship there Rothmar2, you make it look easy.
It took a lot of good machining to produce 316 rings of that quality.
They will never crack like the stamped brass ones.

Stand by for orders from the 16/0 collectors ;)