Need help finding the perfect match.

Started by tksev, April 01, 2014, 02:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tksev

Need help to find the right rod for my makaira's. Looking for a rod that will compliment this reel.

1. Okuma makaira 50 wide.
2. They are being spooled with 80 pound mono straight threw
3. I fish off Long Island
4. Prefer to have the butts inter changeable so that I could troll and live line
5. Target species, any pelagic  :o

Bryan Young

When I frist saw the subject I though is was a spam message for dating.   ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: tksev on April 01, 2014, 02:52:53 AM
Need help to find the right rod for my makaira's. Looking for a rod that will compliment this reel.

1. Okuma makaira 50 wide.
2. They are being spooled with 80 pound mono straight threw
3. I fish off Long Island
4. Prefer to have the butts inter changeable so that I could troll and live line
5. Target species, any pelagic  :o

When you say "butts inter changeable so that I could troll and live line" are you talking about rods with unibutt construction? Most of the quality unibutts are metal and heavy so not most peoples first choice for live lining. If this is what your looking for I'd look real hard at Seeker's, SuperSeeker line of rods. They have 3 models that come with unibutt construction. Two 5.5' rods and one 6.25' rod to fish 80 lb test and use Aftco unibutt's. These rods are top shelf gear, ment to fish up to 1/3 of the lines breaking strength and are not cheap but you will see and feel the quality when you pull on these rods. These rods from Seeker are special order so it may be hard for you to see them where you are. I have seen the rods and pulled on them at a shop that has them in stock here on the left coast and again their quality it outstanding but their weight, beacuse of the unibutt, it too much for the type of fishing we do here.

tksev

Yes I'm looking for a unibutt construction. I will look in to seeker and super seeker as you mentioned. Maybe I should just go with the Makaira Abalone rods? Maybe there rods would fit this beast of a reel like a glove and just be done with it?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

perfect match? hard for me recommend any because i've never done this saltwater style of fishing or any on the boat style of fishing. but this i know when i hook a fish and put on the deck without any problems then it's a "match made in heaven"... :)

SoCalAngler

tksev,

I should of said Seeker has seven rods in the SuperSeeker line that have unibutt construction but 3 models for fishing 80lb test. The models are SS 6455XH AR/UB, SS 6455XXH AR/UB and SS 6463XXH AR/UB. They make a couple of unibutt models in their Black Steel line a G 6463XXH which is 6.25' and a G 6455XXH which is 5.5' From the pricing I have seen the Black Steel cost more but I like the SuperSeeker's better.

Shark Hunter

I just scored me a Nice pair of Seeker Classics! ;D

They aren't Uni Butts, but They are Gorgeous! :-*
Life is Good!

Dominick

Hey Daron, did you hit the lottery or something???  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

You could say that Dominick. ;)
Really, I just hit it from a member on here. $300 for the pair! :o
What goes around, comes around! ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell