Shimano Curado 300EJ light drag

Started by duweezy, April 01, 2014, 09:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duweezy

Hi I have a question about the 300EJ with the drag being light. I have electrical tape on the spool and mono backing with braid so slipping is out of the equation. I have also sent the reel in to Shimano and sent it back with the drag improved but still feels light.

One thing I did notice though when I checked on the backing was that the drag was much stronger when the line was near the end of the spool near the backing.

When given back the reel from Shimano they said it was set at factory drag settings. Am I tripping or is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks for any input

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

have you measured it with a scale or weights? how many lbs of drag are you getting? max drag on this model, per shimano, is 15 lbs but not recommended. believe me because i have a few smaller shimanos like 400BSV  Calcutta Conquest 300 Type J and the gear sleeves rounded off(this happened before becoming an AT.com reel head) at less than 10 lbs of drags. also have you opened it? i'm asking this because maybe after reassembly something is off...

BTW welcome to the "neighborhood"...

Pro Reel

While most people wouldn't notice it, it actually is normal for the drag to seem stronger with less line on the spool. The reason would be the leverage applied to the spool from line pulling on it changes with the amount of line on the spool. With a full spool, the line is pulling at the top of the spool, the furthest away from the axis. With a nearly empty spool, the line is pulling a lot cloder to the axis, thus it has less leverage to turn the spool.

I would bet that your reel does have the stock drag amount, the stock drag isn't very strong. The best thing you could do would be to upgrade the drag washers to carbontex washers.

duweezy

Mel, sorry for my ignorance but I do not have a scale. I can tell you that my chronarch 50 feels like it has better drag.

It makes sense what you are saying about the leverage on the reel. I just ordered me some carbontex washers and hope it improves.

Perhaps this is "start up inertia"?  I'm just concerned because I fish near structure a lot and fear the reel will not perform.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

actually you can use an empty 5 gallon plastic container or a water bucket. do you have a scale or are you near a place where they have a scale e.g. pharmacy supermarket? ok fill the container or bucket with 2.4 quarts of water and weigh it. it should weigh at least 5 lbs because of the added weight of the container. next step is put your reel on a rod and run the line thru the guides and tie the container and lock the drag knob and lift the container with your thumb on the spool to help with the lifting. slowly remove your finger from the spool and if the weight drops then there's  really something wrong because it should be able to support 5lbs easily when the drag is locked. in this case look at your drag stack and the drag spring washers orientation part #BNT0015 it should be like this ().

be careful during disassembly because your reel has small parts like #s BNT2122 and 2123 and watch out for those springs especially the yoke springs #BNT1419. hope this helps and good luck!

BTW i meant a drag scale for measuring the amount of drag. i should have been more specific... :)

filas0909

i have newer shimano 301 e which is the same as 300 ej .on last trip to the water i suddenly realized  that the drag became verry lose even on full drag . i thought that some water inside or something thats way on next day did full inspection and found small amount of water inside.after servicing reel nothing improved :(  again disassembled the reel and changed for carbon fiber drag washers but again same result.
now im wondering what had happened ? before that trip it worked just fine ,full drag , lite drag etc. so what happened ?
i suspect that Roller Clutch Inner Tube somehow make role into this story cause i can see some like a marks on main gear where lays drag washer .
where is the problem ?
any help would be appreciated

johndtuttle

Quote from: filas0909 on November 05, 2015, 10:21:33 PM
i have newer shimano 301 e which is the same as 300 ej .on last trip to the water i suddenly realized  that the drag became verry lose even on full drag . i thought that some water inside or something thats way on next day did full inspection and found small amount of water inside.after servicing reel nothing improved :(  again disassembled the reel and changed for carbon fiber drag washers but again same result.
now im wondering what had happened ? before that trip it worked just fine ,full drag , lite drag etc. so what happened ?
i suspect that Roller Clutch Inner Tube somehow make role into this story cause i can see some like a marks on main gear where lays drag washer .
where is the problem ?
any help would be appreciated

Sorry, did not see this earlier...did you recently re-spool with new line (slipping on the spool)?

The AR when it goes bad it usually slips sometimes, but not always, so never smoothly and lightly, but shakes and shudders between full drag and none.

Then check your belleville washers to be sure they are () not )) in the handle assembly.

Sometimes the under gear washer is worn out and the proper thickness of the assembly is lost, so check that too.

Also, when changing the drag small shims spacing the star and AR tube sometimes are lost or put in improper order and this can affect max drag.

let us know if that helps.

Lunker Larry

Ref water in these reels. That is common. The 300 Curado series is popular with muskie guys and I find water in them all the time: in the reel proper, ARB, spool tension knob.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

mackereljoe

Check the main gear itself, might need to make sure under is flat no rust crud and inside.

Lunker Larry

What JT said about checking the washer under the main gear. I often find this one gets crushed.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

filas0909

hello guys  ,

sorry i missed your messages .  Believe or not the drag fixed itself !!! :) that evening when i asked for advice  drag was just but when i gone to fishing i started feel that drag much better and finally when i back home checked with scales it was nearly 9 kg ! :)
which is more than shimano original drag :)  no doubt carbontex done the trick again but how it gain more drag during the fishing session ?:)

that is the question ? :) anyway no more probs with drag :) once again thank for all your help guys :)

handi2

Maybe it was too much drag grease in the beginning??
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

filas0909

i don`t know what caused that prob but i`m sure it was all tip top .i`ve same done to my 2 abu reels . there was no probs at all but curado was just keep gaining drag all day long . and at the end of the day got brilliant drag . anyway perfect reel ! :) all three baitcasters in perfect shape :) love them all :)
thanks for advice mate . here in England pike season getting better day after day :)

Wolli

its easy to improve the drag of nearly every BC reel

first change the washer under the main gear with a larger cf washer (8x26x1mm) in the diameter of the anti-reverse ratchet (BNT3184). Than replace the original drag washer (BMT4196) with cf washer (24x38x1mm).
For best performance in BC reels use cf both sides fine wave. Since not to buy in 1 mm double two 0.5mm. Dawn has sheets in 0.5mm

Warning: Never set the drag to the increased max. High risk to damage the reel!

same applies for Curado 300DSV and 301H

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

filas0909

thanks mate for advice . verry helpfull info .