two small contests while on board

Started by alantani, April 08, 2014, 01:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i'm going to have a couple of small prizes during the trip.  one is going to a knot competition, using my 40# big game to to a swivel. the four guys with the highest score will be in a tug of war competition for a small reel.  the second is going to be a competition with the same format, except we will be testing your mono to spectra connection.  the price will be something, um, larger.

start practicing those knots.  for the competition, the mono we will use will be from a spool of 40# biggame that i have.  the spectra will be something, not sure what just yet.  i will provide mono, spectra, and the scale. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

now you're making me more anxious... 8) :) ::)

alantani

so, mel, a single san diego or a double?  and an old school bimini to an albright, or new school tony pena?  what's it going to be?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

single SDJ knot to the swivel and maybe an FG/Sebile knot for braid to mono...it's not the knot it's who ties it. ::) ::) ::)

Tim, it's your turn pal...

alantani

if you guys want to practice, use 40# big game and a good quality 65# pound solid spectra.  it will be worth the effort. 

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on April 08, 2014, 01:34:46 AM
single SDJ knot to the swivel and maybe an FG/Sebile knot for braid to mono...it's not the knot it's who ties it. ::) ::) ::)

A bimini to a worm...11 turn twist?

Big Tim

Quote from: Big Tim on April 08, 2014, 02:29:17 AM
Quote from: Mel B on April 08, 2014, 01:34:46 AM

A bimini to a worm...11 turn twist?

here ya go ;D ;D ;D Looks cool, but don't know if it works?

Tim

Ron Jones

I do believe Tim and I will be tying similar knots, and believe me it works Tim.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Big Tim on April 08, 2014, 03:01:39 AM
here ya go ;D ;D ;D Looks cool, but don't know if it works?
Tim

It is a good knot.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

i had a couple of worms fail, so i gave up on them.   :-\

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tim, i'm sure it works. but is it good enough against mine? that is the 64 thousand dollar question... ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on April 08, 2014, 03:16:47 AM
i had a couple of worms fail, so i gave up on them.   :-\

I got a couple more ;D ;D ;D Been trying not to look like a fool my first time out ;D ;D ;D

Lensters

What happens if the line breaks, but not at the knot?  That is what happened with the best knots at the SSS on the Trilene knot machine.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Keta

Quote from: alantani on April 08, 2014, 03:16:47 AM
i had a couple of worms fail, so i gave up on them.   :-\

When you start to tighten them up it's critical to make sure they are right, if not they are useless.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

maxpowers

this would be my entry if I was on the trip provided there is a time limit.