Rod suggestions

Started by anglingarchitect, April 25, 2014, 03:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

I broke down and bought a Okuma Makaira MK-8II after reading Alan's great review and service. I spooled it with 80# braid and I'm now looking for a rod to match it up with.

I'm from Florida and fish the Gulf, Keys and Bahamas but mostly the gulf coast. I intend to use the reel for AJ's, Blackfins, and groupers with bait, as I have other combos that I Jig with. I do like the action and light weight of jigging rods that I fish with though I admit I don't have any expensive ones.

Suggestions? 

alantani

way too many choices.  i have a full set of phenix black diamond hybrids.  they are very nice, but you really should lay hands on one before you plunk down $500!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on April 25, 2014, 04:22:28 PM
way too many choices.  i have a full set of phenix black diamond hybrids.  they are very nice, but you really should lay hands on one before you plunk down $500!

I've been looking at their blanks but it's hard to put out the $ without ever having a blank in hand to check out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

anglingarchitect, what lb topshot do you plan to use?

Keta, on your next trip to SD stop by the Longfin in Orange and pull on all the Phenix rods you want.

Keta

I need to stop by and thank them for some roller guide parts I got from them on short notice anyway.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

anglingarchitect

From 30 to 60 lb topshots or 25 long wind on leaders.

SoCalAngler

IMO one rod will not cover that range of line test. A rod used for 30lb would be way to soft for 60. You could get a rod to cover 2 line classes but 4 is too far of a spread. You may want to think about one rod for 30 and 40lb test and another for 50 and 60lb.

alantani

i will have four different models, 16 total, of phenix rods for you to play with on our trip!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jon Vadney

Quote from: anglingarchitect on April 25, 2014, 03:43:35 PM
I broke down and bought a Okuma Makaira MK-8II after reading Alan's great review and service. I spooled it with 80# braid and I'm now looking for a rod to match it up with.

I'm from Florida and fish the Gulf, Keys and Bahamas but mostly the gulf coast. I intend to use the reel for AJ's, Blackfins, and groupers with bait, as I have other combos that I Jig with. I do like the action and light weight of jigging rods that I fish with though I admit I don't have any expensive ones.

Suggestions? 

In my opinion, it's really 3 rods to cover that spread.  A 30# rod is WAY different than a 40# rod.  Same goes between 40# and 50#.  I'm not so much taking into account drag pressures, rather the type of fish one targets with those respective line classes.  On the west coast here, I use 30# for tuna up to 40#.  Above that mark I'm fishing 40#.  Above 60# tuna I'm fishing 50#.  From 80-120# tuna, 60#. 

My rod recommendations:
Calstar 700ML for 30#
Calstar 700MH for 40#
Calstar 700H for 50-60#

doradoben

Maybe it's just me, but on the west coast I like Calstar 765L for 50 lb test and 765LM for 60 lb.

conchydong

The Crowder Bluewaters are nice for bottom fishing. You can get the LB or LBH in 7' or 8'. If you are on a budget, the E-series boat rods are a good value. www.crowderrods.com

anglingarchitect

Thanks guys.
Need to hold a few and pick but looks like some good options.