HOOKED ON REELS "Fishing Reel Cleaning, Upgrades, & Repairs" is open

Started by HOOKEDONREELS.COM, April 30, 2014, 04:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOOKEDONREELS.COM

Hello everyone,
  My name is Michael Pipes, owner of HOOKED ON REELS "Fishing Reel Cleaning, Upgrades, & Repairs" located in Deer Park, Texas. I have been reading posts from this site for about two years now, but just recently registered and was accepted as a member. I have been hooked on fishing and all things related to fishing since I was a toddler, am 38 now. I love working on fishing reels, and have been doing so as a hobby for friends for roughly 20 years now. My wife finally convinced me to stop using her kitchen table as a work bench, L.O.L., get all the business legalities intact and start a real company, and HOOKED ON REELS was born. I am looking forward to talking with everyone here. Any information, recommendations, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am working on getting some pictures posted. Off site you can reach me at 281-839-8400 or Michael.pipes@att.net
Check out the website and let me know what you think about it so far? www.hookedonreels.com   
remember "GOOD OPERATING, CLEAN REELS CATCH FISH" now "LET'S GET' EM HOOKED"  Thank everyone especially Mr. Tani for the warm welcome.
Michael Pipes, owner of HOOKED ON REELS " Fishing Reel Cleaning, Upgrades, & Repairs" in Deer Park, Texas. Reach us at 281-839-8400 or Michael.pipes@att.net

Tightlines667

Welcome and good luck with the business!  Website looks good too.  I too took my passion and along with the help of this great forum and the local fishing and reel repair community, started up my own part-time reel repair business last June.  In 10 months I've serviced around 120 reels, and bought, refurbished, and sold about 50.  I've had more business then I imagined, but keep in mind it does take a little time to get things rolling.  I'd recommend making sure to develop a good system and keep meticulous records from the start (inventory, parts costs, total labor, running overhead), by customer, and combined.  It is also a good idea to keep individual records of your customers including contact info, personal notes, their reels (make/model/serial number/service performed and dates).  I like your coupon and service plan ideas but bear in mind it will make for more stuff to keep track of.  You may want to consider specializing in certain sizes/makes/models, and decide what (if any), and how much parts or refurbished reels you want to keep in stock (don't forget to factor in finance costs of carrying overhead in your profit/loss estimates.  Keep track of purchases (durable and non durable goods), mileage, and business-related expenses since these records are valuable come tax time.  Work on developing relationships with parts suppliers and major manufacturer reel service/parts reps, and get business accounts set up with suppliers.  Consider becoming an authorized service center and taking on warranty work for one or several companies.  Think about how you plan to guarantee the quality of your workmen ship and product, like what you will do if/when reels return with problems shortly after servicing.  Stay honest with and keep your customers informed to avoid surprises.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or get second opinions and above all take pride in your work and don't cut corners.  I'm sure you've already thought about a lot of this stuff.  Stay positive and run your business, don't let it run you.

O...and never stop learning or having fun!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

HOOKEDONREELS.COM

Thank you for all that information Tightlines666. I will work on everything you mentioned. Looks like you got it down. I do want to become an authorized warranty service center but do not know how. Any info on that? Good luck to you to.
Michael Pipes, owner of HOOKED ON REELS " Fishing Reel Cleaning, Upgrades, & Repairs" in Deer Park, Texas. Reach us at 281-839-8400 or Michael.pipes@att.net

Tightlines667

Just give the service reps your interested in a call.  There is a pretty straight forward application process involved.  I think Penn accepts apps once a year (in January though).  A drawback might he that they will want you to service spinners, that is if your adverse to that.  But don't take my word for it, talk with someone more knowledgable directly.  You also need to consider how to register your business with both fed and state agencies and the different tax implications.   It's a pretty simple process and there is a lot of good information available online.  You don't need to make it over complicated.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Hooker:  Terrific endeavor.  The best of luck to you.  I sounds like you have the right attitude for the business.  I liked the web page very much ("conveniently" misspelled) and the discount idea is great.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

OldSchool

Michael, 10/10 not many people can say they follow there passion. As constructive criticism I think your webpage is way too busy. The title and font Hooked on fishing on page 1 is great, under that I would include your descriptor about what you do and list all the manufacturer names in smaller font you can think of, follow this with the contents of page 2 again choose a common easily read font followed by your contact details. Tab the other details you want to say in an about me tab or along those lines. The desired effect is as follows,
-keeping "hooked on reels" with fishing reel cleaning upgrades and repairs we service all makes and models. This gives you branding and tells people what you do in 2 seconds.
-Listing all reel manufacturers names assists search engine optimization and can assist with credibility.
-The font on page two is hard to read and this information is best on page 1. I'm on your page for 2 seconds and know who you are and what you do, now i know what your deal is in the next 5 seconds.
-in say 10 seconds or less I can see what you do and how much that is.

People don't spend much more time than that on webpages and if they cant see what they are looking for there gone. However if they see that initial information and like it then they will most likely tab and find out more. Its a bit like fishing....you have to set the hook when you feel that first bite or there gone.

OldSchool

broadway

Looks like another one bites the dust. It's sad that these small mom/pop shops can't stay in business.
oh well,
Dom

Tiddlerbasher