4 stack drags

Started by Newell Nut, May 03, 2014, 06:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Most of you know that early Newells had very nice 4 stack drag systems with a full size drag washer under the gear. I guess it cost too much and was later discontinued. Occasionally you can buy a set on ebay for $100 where someone has stripped a reel to sell parts.
I have found a very good way to make my own which essentially duplicates the Newell system. I first tried this last year and the prototype has been fished hard since last summer and still works fine.
Remove the gear sleeve and thoroughly clean the area on the top side of the sprocket. Rough it up with a dremel. I then take one of Bryan's .5mm SS eared washers for a 300 size and grind off the ears. Then I cut radial lines to adhere to the adhesive. I use Acraglass Gel that is used to bed rifle actions.

Place the adhesive on the roughed area of the sprocket. Place the washer on top and squeeze it down. Don't worry about what oozes out into the sprocket. Just clean most of it off with a small screw driver or toothpick. After about 6 hours you can cut away excess with an exacto knife. Let set up over night and install in the reel.

I use a 300 size .5mm CF under all of my gears with this set up so a 5 stack 300 is a 6 stack. My 600s become 8 stacks.

bluefish69

What do you do for he indent in the bottom of the gear?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Good question Mike. I don't have to do anything. The thin SS washer and the thin CF are the same thickness as the normal thrust washer.
The WHY??
I noticed when I first started installing the 5 stack kits that the original Newell 4 stack was smoother than a Newell 3 stack with a 5+1 upgrade.
I think it is smoother because my CF has a smooth washer underneath and a smooth gear surface on top.
On the standard set up the CF sits on the sprocket which has edges that can catch the CF and this is also a smaller CF and a smaller surface in contact with the gear.

SO, I have managed to copy the original system without machining a recess in the gear. My first one has held up very well and it has been fished hard since last year. I just finished the cleanup of 7 of them that I put together today and by tomorrow they will be very solid and ready for a reel.

maxpowers

i supposed we can applied this same technique to the penns

alantani

bryan and i were talking about that last night.  i thought that you could cut the flat sides of the gear sleeve all the way to the base, then use a keyed metal washer right above the star.  seems like that would be alot easier.  i've seen newell gear sleeves that were made like that.  it's a very slick idea.  the reason it work is that there is enough "grab" surface on the newell and penn gears.  we could actually do this for penn gear sleeves as well.  it would be a nice upgrade.  you would just need a thin metal washer and a thin carbon fiber drag washer to fit underneath the main gear.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Frank

Just like Bastos's Tritons:

Quote from: Frank on February 07, 2014, 03:34:43 PM
Basto, that's a great drag set up. A removable keyed washer to support the drag washer under the gear. The washer does not have to be pressed to the sleeve and it can be removed for cleaning and greasing to prevent corrosion issues. Very sharp!!!

Shimano did the same thing with their Triton Mark1 in 1982

[/quote]
[/quote]
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Newell Nut

Alan,
You have a good idea and easier than mine if you get the sleeves made. Of course for now I will stick with my method which works.

Newell Nut

Four 300s or 400s, 2 500s and 1 600 ready for action. ;)

Alto Mare

Nice Dwight! Try to control yourself, one at a time  ::) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

It was raining too much to go fishing so decided to not waste the teaspoon of adhesive that I mixed up. All my spare sleeves are done so I have to install them so that I have something else to tinker with. I have the REEL HEAD DISEASE :-\ ;D

Bryan Young

I'm talking with a machine shop to provide these in stainless like the original Newell 4-stack gear sleeves.

Alan and I are also talking about making them available for AT's Penn Gear Sleeves as well.

Stay tuned folks.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

Count me in, Bryan!!!

Frank

Bryan, If you and Alan need any help with funding this project or would like me to send you some Newell parts for duplication please let me know.

alantani

bryan and i have been discussing all the manufacturing problems we have been encountering.  the problem is always finding someone local.  small local shops in the silicon valley are just not interested in our work.  the time delays are too great and the prices are too high.   we are running out of domestic options.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Frank on May 07, 2014, 08:42:49 PM
Bryan, If you and Alan need any help with funding this project or would like me to send you some Newell parts for duplication please let me know.
Thanks Frank.  Let's find out what the damage will be first. 

regarding the gear sleeves, I raided Alan's spare parts bin  ;D and have a gear sleeve for the 200-300-400 series, 500 series, and 600 series.  I also have a couple of older SS Newell Gear Sleeves for the 4 stack from a 300 series Newell I can use to explain what I want.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D