4 stack drags

Started by Newell Nut, May 03, 2014, 06:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Re: doing this for Penn sleeve

Have anyone tried this with a used brass sleeve, ie. dremeling the shoulder to the ratchet?  I am just wondering how much of a tolerance we can have if we decided to dremel the SS sleeve.

Alto Mare

Not taking anything away from you guys, It's always nice to see improvements, that's what we do here ;D. For me this idea doesn't make much sense, the main gear and its drag stack should be as one unit on its own, in another word, you want the main gear to spin as smooth as possible with pressure or without, this will give you smoother drags.
I'm thinking a bearing material for under the gear and you guys are talking drag material to create more friction :-\. I tried a flat roller bearing it works but the thickness is just too much, a Delrin washer would be a very good choice there, its very slippery and almost indestructible.
Just my two cents.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Sal
Your experiences have done wonders for this board and you opinion is always welcome. Since I tried duplicating the old Newell 4 stack with a drag washer under the gear I got the smoothest drags. Most of my reels actually have a 6 stack system and the 600 series has a 8 stack system and they really work great.
I would not change a thing on the 6/0s that you built. They are silky smooth just as they are.
This Newell Nut likes tinkering with the Newells and I think I have gotten just about all I can get and now I have some very special SS gear sleeves to test next week end in my 600 thanks to Tom.
They sure look sweet in the photos.

Dwight

Alto Mare

Don't ever stop tinkering Dwight ;).
Yes I had the opportunity to check some of Tom's sleeves out, those are the best I've ever seen.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mrpee

So is the P440 F the same fear as the G 440 F only deeper?

Newell Nut

The gears are the same depth.

mrpee

I guess what I ment to ask can I use it in the g440 f to get another washer?

Newell Nut

No, the old original P series that has a 4 stack drag will have a recess cut in the bottom of the gear for the extra washer. There is a press fit SS washer between the gear and dog sprocket.

The entire P series bridge with all the parts can be used in a G series. Just trying to use the gear will not help you. What you can do to the G is use Bryan's 5 stack drag system and they are very strong and smooth.

You can use the 5 stack system in a 4 stack P and get a 6 stack arrangement.

ez2cdave

Schematic for the 4-Stack . . . Tight Lines !!!