bluefin. no details, but.....

Started by alantani, May 04, 2014, 10:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

2nd bluefin of the season also caught by topgun today along with 36 yt

Ron Jones

I just don't have 33 days of anticipation in me! Get here June!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

Tuna news 16 May 2014

Hello anglers, We are happy to report that there has been several spots of fish seen by another Fishermans Landing boat! The Royal Polaris saw fish as close as 150 miles from home in calm weather yesterday. The fish that they saw up close were 20-40 pound bluefin tuna. Sounds exciting!
Team Searcher

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on May 17, 2014, 04:23:51 AM
Tuna news 16 May 2014

Hello anglers, We are happy to report that there has been several spots of fish seen by another Fishermans Landing boat! The Royal Polaris saw fish as close as 150 miles from home in calm weather yesterday. The fish that they saw up close were 20-40 pound bluefin tuna. Sounds exciting!
Team Searcher

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ron Jones

Does anyone know the antidote for Tunaitis!!? :) :)
I am going out of my mind here. 40 Pound tuna will be just perfect, big enough for me to test the Tuna Special and will be an absolute BLAST on Bryan's Pacifica 2000. Here fishy fishie!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

the eclipse out of seaforth got into some football yellowfins abd decent size bluefins on their 2 days trip this weekend.  i was tempted to jump on that boat after my trip was cancelled this weekend.

Porthos

Quote from: noyb72 on May 17, 2014, 05:58:12 AM
I am going out of my mind here...
Ron

Went out on San Diego Bay yesterday on my raft and, at 8:30 am, hooked up to a mud marlin 100 yds south of Coronado bridge tower #18.

Was fishing a Penn 9 on a 5'6" Penn Mariner 12-25lb with 17lb Cajun Red (Bimini Twist & Yucatan) to 20lb Big Game leader, spider hitch dropper loop, a Size 1 Eagle Claw L702 circle, and a strip of squid. Drag was set at 3.5 lbs (set by hand on the water and measured after getting home). That thing circled my raft twice and made at least 6 good runs. Pulled up slowly and reeled down fast; got it up to the side for a release after 30 mins--it was foul hooked in the left wing. There was enough stress that the L702 had started to straighten.

Gave me flashbacks to BFT fishing last year--it was my antidote.

Big Tim

Quote from: Porthos on May 19, 2014, 12:49:43 AM
Ron

Went out on San Diego Bay yesterday on my raft and, at 8:30 am, hooked up to a mud marlin 100 yds south of Coronado bridge tower #18.

Was fishing a Penn 9 on a 5'6" Penn Mariner 12-25lb with 17lb Cajun Red (Bimini Twist & Yucatan) to 20lb Big Game leader, spider hitch dropper loop, a Size 1 Eagle L702 circle, and a strip of squid. Drag was set at 3.5 lbs (set by hand on the water and measured after getting home). That thing circled my raft twice and made at least 6 good runs. Pulled up slowly and reeled down fast; got it up to the side for a release after 30 mins--it was foul hooked in the left wing. There was enough stress that the L702 had started to straighten.

I wish I knew what all that meant..Cool as Hell though

maxpowers

Quote from: Big Tim on May 19, 2014, 01:27:35 AM
Quote from: Porthos on May 19, 2014, 12:49:43 AM
Ron

Was fishing a Penn 9 on a 5'6" Penn Mariner 12-25lb with 17lb Cajun Red (Bimini Twist & Yucatan) to 20lb Big Game leader, spider hitch dropper loop, a Size 1 Eagle L702 circle, and a strip of squid. Drag was set at 3.5 lbs (set by hand on the water and measured after getting home). That thing circled my raft twice and made at least 6 good runs. Pulled up slowly and reeled down fast; got it up to the side for a release after 30 mins--it was foul hooked in the left wing. There was enough stress that the L702 had started to straighten.

I wish I knew what all that meant..Cool as Hell though
mud marlin = bat ray.  they have the tendency to do a coupke jimps after the initial hook up.  hence the nick name.

doradoben

regarding maxpowers post #20.. I'm pretty sure that you all will be glad to hear that these yellow fin tuna were caught about 120 miles from San Diego.

Keta

If BFT are available will we just target them and skip the YT?  If so the gear we need to bring can be drastically reduced. 

I'd like to get some BFT but YT make me happy.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

we may not know for sure until we are actually on the water.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on May 21, 2014, 03:51:35 PM
we may not know for sure until we are actually on the water.

I found that out on my first LR trip, I could have brought 3 100/130 rigs and 1 40 rig (bait making) and left the rest at home.  Who would have guessed we would plug the boat with cows on a 10 day.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Just in from Fisherman's Landing:

"Update: Captain Aaron from the Shogun just called in with 60+ bluefin tuna boated and more hanging! This is the first morning of their 2.5 day trip and the bluefin are 30lb average with fish up to 40lbs. Stay tuned!"   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D