bluefin. no details, but.....

Started by alantani, May 04, 2014, 10:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Aiala on May 24, 2014, 06:16:27 PM
Just in from Fisherman's Landing:

"Update: Captain Aaron from the Shogun just called in with 60+ bluefin tuna boated and more hanging! This is the first morning of their 2.5 day trip and the bluefin are 30lb average with fish up to 40lbs. Stay tuned!"   :D

~A~

Thanks and YAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOO!!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Big Tim

This is killin' me now  ;D ;D ;D I had to practice by setting up mt SLT 30 attaching it to my grandsons wagon and reel him in. Laughing all the way down the street! Neighbors too.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

I have a reason now to bring my Mak 20... ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: ML B on May 24, 2014, 11:38:59 PM
I have a reason now to bring my Mak 20... ;D

Mel: You don't need that Mak 20...Just give it to me  ;D ;D ;D

maxpowers

TopGun 80 limited out on the tuna and still have time left to fish on their 2 1/2 days trip.  Incredible.

Ron Jones

So,
when the limit is 5 fish a day then is that five tuna or five game fish or what.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Aiala

Top Gun takes 25 passengers on these 2.5-day trips, so... 5x25 = 125, but they also caught YFTs and the crew presumably can add their counts, so... it all adds up to mighty excellent fishing!  8)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on May 25, 2014, 10:01:15 PM
So,
when the limit is 5 fish a day then is that five tuna or five game fish or what.
Ron

I believe on a 2.5 day you can have a double limit ? At least here on the central coast on a overnighter you can double up.

I'm watching you tube videos on Bluefin/Yellowfin tuna fishing, then I figure if I stay at a Holiday Inn express prior to the trip I won't be rookie   ;D ;D ;D

maxpowers

the limit is 30 fish per trip with no more than 10 per days of which no more than 5 of each species.  bottom line is on 2.5 days trips you can in theory limit out since you will have 3 days limit.  that plus the crew and the boat limit will probably plug the boat.  we'll get the counts tomorrow unless some of the boats opted to come in early.  i wondered if they found any yellowtails on the paddies?

Aiala

Quote from: maxpowers on May 26, 2014, 12:42:53 AM
I wondered if they found any yellowtail on the paddies?

Evidently so; this, from Fisherman's Landing: "The Pacific Queen finished their 1.5 day trip with 80 yellowtail, and 1 bluefin tuna!"

It all sounds extremely promising.   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

SoCalAngler

From CONAPESCA's web site, which is Mexico's Department of Fish and Game.

MEXICAN SPORTFISHING REGULATIONS

When operating a boat that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid fishing license for everybody  aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not.  A Fishing License is not required when fishing from land.

Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.

A fishing license allows to capture fin fish only.  It does not allow to capture any crustaceans or mollusks, with the exception of squid, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited.  Totuaba, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and may not be captured at any time.

To capture bottom fish, up to four hooks on a vertical line may be used.

The use of electric reels is restricted to disabled fishermen only, after written authorization for the Ministry before use.

BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS

In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per person per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie, except of the species of the "Billfishes", Shark and Giant Seabass (Stereolepis gigas), of which only one specimen from this group is allowed per day, and which counts a five toward the overall 10 fish limit, or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad or Tarpon, and Gulf Grouper (Mycyteroperca jordani), of which only two samples from this group are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit.
Limit on inland bodies of water (rivers, lakes, dams, etc.) is five fish per day, whether of a single specie or in combination.

Underwater fishing is limited to a total of five fish and/or squid per day, using rubber band, spring or pneumatic harpoons, and only while skin diving.

There is no limit to the practice of "catch and release", as long as the fish that exceed the bag limit be returned to their environment in good survival condition.     

Where sportfishing is conducted from boats out at sea for longer than three days, the bag limit will  be the equivalent of three times the amounts mentioned above.

Ron Jones

I do believe 30 fish is enough for anyone. We will fish for 3 days if I am correct. I've caught way more than 10 albacore in a day but pulling in 10 30-40 pound bluefin is an entirely different kettle of fish. Reckon by then I'd be tuckered good.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: noyb72 on May 26, 2014, 03:52:27 AM
I do believe 30 fish is enough for anyone. We will fish for 3 days if I am correct. I've caught way more than 10 albacore in a day but pulling in 10 30-40 pound bluefin is an entirely different kettle of fish. Reckon by then I'd be tuckered good.
Ron
Ron:  I don't know how it has been interpreted but here is a quote from Socalangler's post.  "In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per person per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie"... The ten total means only 5 Tuna plus a combination of 5 of other species. There are several other combinations too lengthy to go into.  However, of the Tuna species 5 BFT or YFT or a combination is all you are allowed according to the Conapesca quotation.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Sorry,
I missed the math. Cool, 5 tuna a day is still more than enough for me to feel like a solid days work. Ron
Ronald Jones
"

SoCalAngler

Don't forget this part "Where sportfishing is conducted from boats out at sea for longer than three days, the bag limit will  be the equivalent of three times the amounts mentioned above". If you have travel days where you fish only a little or days that the bite is off you can make up your catch on other days.

I said a while back in another thread that not enough fish was seldom a problem but on the other hand taking too much was an issue for me. Donations for the needy is very simple just let the processor know what if any fish you want to donate and they take care of it and there is always catch and release.

EDIT: Frozen BFT is not the best table fare and if you do have RSW fish, you can only keep it for a while before it has to be eaten or frozen.