abu6600c3ld

Started by wallacewt, June 12, 2010, 02:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

just finished abu 66ooc3ld upgrade.acetoned the cork washers to get them out.replaced with a carbon fibre,didnt work,it needed a spacer or another washer.so i sanded the cork washer down to half thickness and loose layed the cork and fibre.greased both with cals.it worked ok but not 100%.cleaned the cals off the cork washer and glued it back in.loose layed the fibre washer,didnt want to glue the fibre to cork in case it didnt work and im sure the acetone would seperate the fibre from the fibre glass.works perfectly.time will tell if it will hold up.hope this helps.any thoughts on glueing fibre to the cork.also replaced tld5 canvas/fibre.its 100%.thanks all.

alantani

you know, there's gotta be an easy way to fix these.  the amabassaduer lever drag reels are the perfect size for many inshore applications.  the problem is the cork drag washer.  one way to fix the cork is to make 20-30 radial cuts in the cork to break up the suction.  the better way is to glue on a carbon fiber drag washer.  even holding it down with a couple of screws might work.  the problem is the difference in thickness.  maybe a backing plate of some sort might be the answer. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

Quote from: alantani on June 13, 2010, 12:04:09 AM
you know, there's gotta be an easy way to fix these.  the amabassaduer lever drag reels are the perfect size for many inshore applications.  the problem is the cork drag washer.  one way to fix the cork is to make 20-30 radial cuts in the cork to break up the suction.  the better way is to glue on a carbon fiber drag washer.  even holding it down with a couple of screws might work.  the problem is the difference in thickness.  maybe a backing plate of some sort might be the answer. 
i thought about doubling up on the hts and just glue it but couldnt bring myself to acetone it if  it didnt work.i have plenty of smooth drag lifting a drum of water but no idea if it will last.would glueing fibre to cork be a better option than loose laying the ht. i will put in a backing plate as my next option.drill and screw oh lordy. thank you ::)