HELP????motion sickness or sea sickness....HELP????

Started by cmaraj1, May 06, 2014, 01:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmaraj1

hey guys
jus went on my first charter boat in key largo,  heading to spot was fine, but as soon as we anchored and started to fish , i got this crazy headache...

and i was sidelined for rest of trip....... :(
it was 1 to 2 foot chop is what the captain said...
boat jus kept rocking and rocking and rocking,
they had some french tourists there with  lil kids and man they were worst off than me, felt so bad for those kids....

any advice on what i can take???
i did take something call trans...,.,,..,. i forget the rest...
but i took it after i got sick????

boats name is SAILORS CHOICE,  KEY LARGO FLORIDA
the two man crew was very friendly
people were catching some mangrove and yellowtails and porgys
idk i think i will stick to piers and surfs for my fishing funn...

johndtuttle

You may have been simply dehydrated (which contributes to motion sickness too).

A Headache is more consistent with that.

Motion sickness really is nausea and dizziness. Over the counter Dramamine is effective, if mildly sedating. Patches, pills, your choice. Never hurts to talk to your doctor about it either.

I find catching fish usually fixes me right up if I get a touch of the queasy. Going below and sleeping is generally the worst idea. If it's a six pack or smaller charter a very brief stint at the wheel just driving straight at slow speed will stop it if the captain will allow it. Something to do with the input from the wheel re-orienting your inner ear telling it you are not falling.

Just like driving a car it's pretty much only the passengers that get it.

Shark Hunter

Dramamine. You need to take it ahead of time. They also make a patch to help with the sea sickness. Dominick wears one.
Life is Good!

texkan

Another over-the-counter motion sickness medication is meclizine. It has proven effective for my wife. There are several prescription medications that are very effective but, obviously, you will have to get a prescription from your doctor.

bluefish69

The Patch is Transderm - V  = Scapotermine You need a script for these & you can use them for 72 straight hours

Spelling doesn't count

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

Here y'go:  http://www.medicinenet.com/scopolamine-transdermal/article.htm

Seems to work very effectively for the folks who need them. I believe, however, that they must be applied prior to the onset of motion sickness.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

I like scopace, and unfortunately it is no longer available.  I hate the scopolomine patch.  It is much too strong for me.  Eating ginger candy also helps. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

OldSchool

My understanding motion and sea sickness are all one in the same. Essentially its the nausea experienced by the confusion between your eyes and your ears, the eyes and ears send conflicting messages to the brain and subsequently nausea is experienced. To assist,
-if possible look at the land line and focus or focus on the horizon if sick.
-Avoid exhaust fumes off the motor
-Dont look down or at the rails and other straight lines as they rock to and fro
-Natural Ginger can help prior to nausea
-Drinking coke prior to leaving
- Bands that press on points on your wrists
-medication which thickens the fluid within the ear.

I believe you can actually go and get a custom made medication to take, im unsure whats involved but i have seen the adverts for it. The charter captain was calling one remedy a "hair-tail" and he had told me a lot of people take it when they do the 5 day tournaments, and from recollection I beleive its from New Zealand? 

philaroman

I get it really bad.  Dramamine never worked, until I figured out that I have to start micro-doses about 36 hrs. in advance.  Instead of 2 pills 1-2 hrs. in advance as directed, I take 1/2 pill every 6-8 hrs. for more than a day; than 1 pill when I wake up; 1 more 1 hr. before boat-time; and maybe 1 more 4-5 hrs. into the trip...  Basically, I have to walk a fine line between not enough & mild overdose, so I can handle 3-4' swells during half-day trips.  Otherwise, I chum from light chop on a windy lake  >:( :( :'(

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on May 06, 2014, 03:54:28 AM
Here y'go:  http://www.medicinenet.com/scopolamine-transdermal/article.htm

Seems to work very effectively for the folks who need them. I believe, however, that they must be applied prior to the onset of motion sickness.  :)

~A~
Right you are Aiala.  I could not fish without the patch.  The secret is to place the patch behind your ear before going to bed the night before fishing.  It does cause dry mouth but the other secret is to keep yourself hydrated.  I have suffered what I thought was overdosed scopolamine.  It turns out I was suffering from optical migraines from getting dehydrated.  Now all I get is a little dry mouth.  I think scopolamine is a wonder drug.  Secondarily one can use Bonine which is meclizine.  As with all these drugs they are preventative.  They do not work once you get sick.  In Mexico they sell meclizine under the name Bonadoxina.  Use it the day and evening before you fish and it will work wonders.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

I got a little queasy during Alan's 5-day last month. I put on a Scopolamine patch and started felling better in about 6 hours. I forgot my ginger chews which have worked well (and fairly rapidly) for those I've given them to. I get the chews at Trader Joe's and/or Cost Plus - World Imports.

Absolutely, don't go below. Look at the horizon, take the helm if you can, and if you hang over the rail, take your glasses off first. :-\

Staying hydrated works wonders for prevention.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Shark Hunter

Rob,
You really need to come around more often brother. You are one of the originals here. ;)
Life is Good!

MFB

Bundaberg ginger beer always settles my stomach always throw a couple in the chilly bin.

Rgds

Mark

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

harryk3616

its the motion of the ocean !   as a kid and up into my mid 30's i got sea sick every time i went out, i chummed all day, next to gout, i think it's the worst sickness to have, you just want to die.  i loved fishing so much, i just kept going and chumming, as soon as the boat stopped and you rocked back and forth, it was all over.  back and forth, up and down, yikes murder. i would find a place to lie down, not inside and try to sleep it off, chummed so much, bile would come out, they didn't have patches back then. so, i just kept on going,and going and going, chumming ,and chumming etc etc until i finally was able to over come it, i would sit on the motor box looking out the back of the boat, on the edge, i could go one way or another, then all of a sudden i felt good and i was able to fish and not chum, but let me tell you, i can't begin to tell you how many times i got sick, terrible but the thrill of fishing kept me going, i feel for every one that gets sick, i know what your going thru, hang in there.  on a outboard boat 22' or so no problem ,rock all day long, on a party boat, i was ralphing all day,   good luck.   harryk

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 30, 2014, 06:08:44 AM
Rob,
You really need to come around more often brother. You are one of the originals here. ;)

Thanks. I had a couple of things going on and had to bail for a while. But now I'll be around to make my insightful and sarcastic posts. ;D  At least until Alan takes away my key to the executive porta-pot and gives me the boot.  ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD