HELP????motion sickness or sea sickness....HELP????

Started by cmaraj1, May 06, 2014, 01:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: theswimmer on May 28, 2015, 11:13:41 AM
Scopolamine patch. Like Dom stated ,start the night before, maybe 12-15 hours before you get on the boat.
As a kid I never got sick, 9-10 years old , going out with Grandpa from SF on his old Choy Lee. Somewhere as an adult I lost that imunity and now I use the patch with neverfail results. We have gone out ferrying a friends sailboat north from Long beach to Moss landing in the winter. Coming around Point Conception with 12-15 and a 24 sec interval I was the only one who did not hurl. I love the patch!

For me, it's Scopace (Scopolamine in a pill form) and 2 packs of Pop Tarts.  And if I continue to drink water and eat thereafter, I'm fine. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

theswimmer

The Pop Tarts are a nice touch Bryan!
I usually don't eat until about 10 am or so and then something bland like a plain bagel.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rancanfish

Bryan, where in the heck did you get pills? (Scopace).  NOS?   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

I have 3 pills left...they are like GOLD.  I checked with my cousin and she said that they were all sold out 2 years ago, and I believe Alan said that they were not making enough money, so stopped making them.

I heard that they are available in Australia...I'm going to start searching.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

Ever wonder why my nick name is 'HJ' (horizontal Jim)? Well I used to spend  a lot of time  lying down on deck trying to recover from motion sickness. Yes I get it very bad and have to manage it or we are going in early.
Here is what seems to work the best for me ( not always perfect but it helps):

Hydrate starting the day before.
Apply a Scopace patch the night before ( I put it on my shoulder under my sleeve so I can get at it later). Save the plastic  strips and the package for later use.
Eat on the way to the launch ramp something mild and slightly salty (saltines) avoid eggs and greasy stuff.
Try to be the driver to the ramp and it's even better if you drive the boat.
By now you may have slightly dry mouth (want to spit a lot). this is Ok.
While under way keep busy munching on something with salt ( pumpkin seeds, fritos, crackers).
When fishing try to stay near the stern center of the boat ( least motion) and try to focus on the land or horizon rather than the tip of your rod.
After a few hours of fishing I seem to acclimate ( even better if we are on the bite) and I will start to get hungry ( a great indication you are over the hump and the Scopace is working well).
If the dry mount is getting the worst of you, you can remove the patch and save it to reapply later if you need to increase the dose.
The Scopace seems to need 4-6 hours to to leave your body. I find the the Patch is too strong for continuous use so I regulate it by removal and reapplication of the same patch over 4 days and then I break out a new one if needed ( this is on my annual 7 day trip).

If things just get too bad I try to fall asleep ( down stairs to my bunk , head to the keel line, head turned to the side and right wrist under my head - pressure point. If I manage to fall asleep then wake up my motion sickness seems to reset.

I is a lot of work but that's the price I pay to fish and catch and it works for me.
Jim N.

wallacewt

went to 3 chemists shops here in oz
regarding sopace in pill form
all of them said,no,no,no
it can have very bad side effects
they refuse to sell it
be careful bryan!

Rancanfish

Sorry, I call bull pucky.  I used the heck out of it, shared it, rescued peeps already sick.  Never a problem.

Disclaimer;  beer will make you sick if you overdose.   ;D

Fisherman Paul

I remember when i first went out with our fishing club
on the boat lead heading for pollock i felt not
to great on memory, but when i went out again and
the next time i was fine, in fact after a few years
i could go out when it was a lot worse than the
first time and i felt great, advice given to me
is it's called "finding your sea legs".

It's all to do with "your body and brain" are not used to it,
stick with it and trust me your body and mind will adapted
over time.

I don't go out on the boat now for a good while as the
club sec of that club passed away fighting cancer, a great
guy who fished at world level and i learned a lot from him.

If i went out on a boat tomorrow i bet you i would feel sick.

borchcl

I used to use the patch, but as others have stated, controlling dosage can be a problem. Then I found Scopace tablets made by Hope Pharmaceutical, in a .04 mg dose, worked great, tablets could be halved as required. Then Hope Pharmaceutical stopped making it. I found a formulating pharmacist locally who would custom build it in capsule form. I had my doctor cut a prescription for 100 caps in a .02 mg dosage that works great. I can take two if I need, but normally take one early, b/4 launching the boat. Most areas have formulating pharmacists who can compound non standard Rx as needed.
Hope this helps someone.
Charlie

Rancanfish

I can relate F-Paul, if you are saying you lost a good fishing buddy.  

My best ocean fishing bud moved to some god-forsaken place called Oregon, and my mentor for stripers and salmon died of stomach cancer, seems like yesterday.  I kinda faded away for awhile but I'm getting back.

I'll get my sea legs again I hope.  But I'm going in my boat so I can go back home if I like.  :D

Dominick

There is no indication that scopace is not still being made.  I never tried it but it is the same drug used in the patch.  If you are concerned check out side effects here.  http://www.drugs.com/cdi/scopace.html Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Quote from: borchcl on May 31, 2015, 05:23:52 PM
I used to use the patch, but as others have stated, controlling dosage can be a problem. Then I found Scopace tablets made by Hope Pharmaceutical, in a .04 mg dose, worked great, tablets could be halved as required. Then Hope Pharmaceutical stopped making it. I found a formulating pharmacist locally who would custom build it in capsule form. I had my doctor cut a prescription for 100 caps in a .02 mg dosage that works great. I can take two if I need, but normally take one early, b/4 launching the boat. Most areas have formulating pharmacists who can compound non standard Rx as needed.
Hope this helps someone.
Charlie

Charlie, can you PM or post the formulating pharmacist?  I heard this was the way to go a few years back but never followed up.  Thanks for posting some hope.

borchcl

I live in central Minnesota, and my regular pharmacist recommended two or three formulating pharmacists in this area. The one I used was "The Apothecary" in Sartell MN   http://theapothecarymn.com/
You would, of course need a prescription from your Doctor. I do not know if they do online sales or what the process would be if they do. One could check with a local pharmacist or your doctor, as there should be formulating pharmacies in most locations. At one time most prescriptions were made on site, B/4 giant pharma came along.
Regards
Charlie

Dominick

Randy I live in San Mateo California and there are 2 formulating pharmacies in my area.  Where are you located?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Ooh, I need to get a perscription.  Randy is also in the BAY area.