Penn 145
Penn 146
Penn 149
Penn 150
Penn 200
Penn 250
Penn 259
Penn 285

I have created a 5 stack for Penn reels that uses Penn's 5-60 main gears.  The list of reels are noted above.  Most of these reels have a drag capacity of 6-9 pounds.  This should increase your drag to a comfortable 10-15 pounds of drag, theoretically.  I haven't had a chance to line my Penn 259 to test out the drag system, but is should work very similarly to my other Ultimate Upgrade Drag Kits.

The kits come with 5 in gear Carbontex drag washers, 1 Carbontex undergear drag washer, 3 metal keyed washers, 2 metal eared washers, and a new belleville.  Due to the different reel sideplate spacings, if the belleville does not fit within the sideplate, I recommend installng it between the spacer and the star for a more gradual increase in drag pressure.

Cost of the set is $27 shipped within the USA.  Will ship internationally based on international postage fees.

Pictures will be posted shortly.

Please post your questions.

Thank you for your interest.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Really cool Bryan, I think your drag estimates are probably a bit low. These drags will give the same drag at the gear as a 113 with a 5 stack, and mine produces way more than 10 pounds. In fact, I don't see why the 99,110 and 250 wouldn't give the same drag as a 500 with your 5+1 stack. Probably more because of the lower gear ratio. A 250 with this drag and a long crank arm would be quite the crane for bottom fishing.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on May 07, 2014, 06:46:38 AMA 250 with this drag and a long crank arm would be quite the crane for bottom fishing.

Ron

I will let you know, I have a 250N (501 frame) I'm going to use for mid depth lingcod and am considering one on a Tiburon 99 frame.  These washers will also fit a 113, a 7+1 113N "Grouper Special" sounds interesting for mid depth halibut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on May 07, 2014, 03:05:25 PM
Quote from: noyb72 on May 07, 2014, 06:46:38 AMA 250 with this drag and a long crank arm would be quite the crane for bottom fishing.

Ron

I will let you know, I have a 250N (501 frame) I'm going to use for mid depth lingcod and am considering one on a Tiburon 99 frame.  These washers will also fit a 113, a 7+1 113N "Grouper Special" sounds interesting for mid depth halibut.
I think I can even make a 9-stack for that gear  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

A nine stack, I might have to try that out as well. I have a Penn 3/0, it uses the 66 gear and the 85 spool. A nine stack on a reel that size would be interesing for shallow big fish jigging like the garbage pile at Neah Bay or many other areas in the straights.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Max is 8 which would not work.  7 stack in the 113 is the max.

Ron Jones

Still, a seven stack is an awful lot of drag. Definatly a SS gear and dog proposition I'd say. If a jigmaster will mess up a gear sleeve end at 12 pounds or so, I couldn't thing that a larger diameter reel at 20+ wouldn't just twist the handle off or destroy the brass dog.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Cortez_Conversions

Bryan,
Can you bring three of these sets with you tonite?
I'd like to try them in my Squidders.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Tom McKinney

Brian
I need three of these.  Can you PayPal me an invoice ?
Thanks
Tom

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Newell Nut

When you increase a stack from 3 to 5 it makes a huge difference.

Islandgypsy

I would like two (2). Where and when do I send the check ( do not do Pay Pal ) .  Thanks Bryan... Greg.

johnachak

If we change to a 5-1 in a Squidder, what replacement carbon washers will it need in the future? Is it the standard with thinner metal washers or are they speciazed thickness C/F washers?

Newell Nut

The CFs are thin and the SS is thin. Changes in the future require thin CFs. I have used mine over a year and I fish 3 days a week most weeks and they are holding up well.