Penn Reels that use 5-60 and 5-149 main gears for 5+1 stack drag kit

Started by Bryan Young, May 07, 2014, 04:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie K

Ok.  I'll try it.  I can't go to tight on the drag because I'm using a brass gear sleeve.  I don't go heavy on the grease as a light film should be sufficient.  I'll play with it and take it apart if I can't get it to smooth out and inspect it.  Thank you.  I'll let you know how it works out.

mo65

Quote from: Eddie K on July 20, 2019, 06:09:23 PM
 I'll play with it and take it apart if I can't get it to smooth out and inspect it. 

Did you use the new under gear washer with the kit? If not, you may want to inspect the under gear washer...it may be shot. I've seen many of the old red discs split and crack on old 285s. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

Quote from: Eddie K on July 20, 2019, 06:09:23 PM
Ok.  I'll try it.  I can't go to tight on the drag because I'm using a brass gear sleeve.  I don't go heavy on the grease as a light film should be sufficient.  I'll play with it and take it apart if I can't get it to smooth out and inspect it.  Thank you.  I'll let you know how it works out.
If the drag washers are not fully coated with grease or completely dry the drag could be jumpy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Eddie K

Hello Bryan.  I followed your instructions.  I set the drag at 1 lb., 3 lbs., 5 lbs., 7 lbs, 9 lbs., and 11 lbs.  and at each setting stripped off about 20 ft. of line.  Set it at 9 lbs and it still was kind of jerky.  I opened the reel up and took the stack out and wiped the grease off.  I inspected the gear sleeve and noticed that some polishing was starting to appear at the hub, no groove was present.  I regreased the drag stack with Cal's drag and reel grease.  Placed the drag stack in the gear, put the spacer sleeve on and then the star.  I tightened the star down and wiped the grease off.  Took the star and spacer sleeve off and put the bridge assembly back in place and buttoned it all up.  It is better, but still a little jerky.  I'll fish it between 7 and 8 lbs.  At 7 lbs it is smooth at 8 lbs it starts catching.  I'll fish it and be happy with it.  I don't want to fish this reel at any higher drag pressures anyway.  I plan on using this reel kayak fishing. 

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Eddie K

I will let you know how it works out.  Thank you for taking the time to address the issue.  I remembered last night that since I overfilled the spool with an extra 60 to 80 yards of line  that the more line there is, the tighter the drag has to be tightened.  So, I guess it is better to fish it at 7 lbs of drag anyway because as the spool loses line, the tighter the drag gets. 

Once again, thank you.

Bryan Young

Glad to help and thank you for your support.

Tightline. Can't wait to hear the fishing report.

Eddie K

Hello Bryan, apparently the drag stack needed to break in.  The drag is now performing smoothly.  Thank you for a wonderful product.  I will purchase more.  Tightlines.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Eddie K on August 19, 2019, 06:07:37 PM
Hello Bryan, apparently the drag stack needed to break in.  The drag is now performing smoothly.  Thank you for a wonderful product.  I will purchase more.  Tightlines.
Great to hear Eddie.  Thank you for your feedback and following up with the performance of your reel.