Bait Questions

Started by Keta, May 12, 2014, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Have there been sardines available yet this year or are we going to have to deal with tiny baits? 

Do they "make bait" on the short trips?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2014, 09:45:09 PM
Have there been sardines available yet this year or are we going to have to deal with tiny baits? 

Do they "make bait" on the short trips?
I heard that this year there are plumes of anchovies in the area.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maxpowers

The long range boats have been allocated roughly 1/2 sardine 1/2 mackerel.  NOt sure about medium range and short range boats.

SoCalAngler

Plan for anything, bait has been strange this year. My last two trips out, in OC not SD, we had live squid and no fin bait.

EDIT: If they get chovie in the mix it may not live in the warmer waters south, so bait may need to be made. Bring 2 Sabiki's and you should be good.

Keta

4 hook Sabikis like the ones I've used on 10 and 15 day trips?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

we've always had 6-8 inch sardines.  i'd bring 1/0 and 3/0 j-hooks and 2/0 and 4/0 circle hooks.  for a picky bite, i've gone down as far as a number 1 in size. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I have 2-4/0 J hooks and 1/0-5/0 C hooks packed  .

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2014, 12:40:11 AM
we've always had 6-8 inch sardines.  i'd bring 1/0 and 3/0 j-hooks and 2/0 and 4/0 circle hooks.  for a picky bite, i've gone down as far as a number 1 in size. 

is this good enough on hooks?

alantani

here's to wishing that you run out of hooks!!!!   ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2014, 12:47:53 AM
here's to wishing that you run out of hooks!!!!   ;D

I'll take that I'm OK then  ;D ;D ;D You have to remember I was booked on a different trip and was going it alone...Overkill!

alantani

you're fine!  if you run out of hooks, you will have had the trip of a lifetime!

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2014, 12:52:18 AM
you're fine!  if you run out of hooks, you will have had the trip of a lifetime!

Well then Alan let's have a fishing trip of a lifetime!!! And thank you an everyone on this site for helping me and welcoming me  ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim!

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2014, 11:15:39 PM
4 hook Sabikis like the ones I've used on 10 and 15 day trips?

OK there are 1000 Sabiki rigs online..what do I need?

Keta

The ones I have are 1/0 Ahi SB-502

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

That their is a high tech sabiki. I grew up using yellow and orange thread snelled to a hook! I guess I'll have to do some thinking on this one.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"