Moon Phases for the Alan Tani Express

Started by Dominick, May 14, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Is this because the moon affects the currents or is just more due to the light of the moon? I do know we have better night fishing in the high altitude lakes during a full moon and it's easier to walk around camp...I hate tripping in the dark and spilling my beer  ;D ;D ;D

SoCalAngler

I charted my trip that I had running for 25 years. We left the 3rd Wednesday in August every year and got back on Saturday. I charted catch to moon phase so I could plan other trips and found that many other factures came into play much more in the catch total than moon phase. Things like current, water temp, weather, bait situation and others IMO play a much bigger role in catch numbers than the moon phase.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 14, 2014, 02:23:17 AM
I charted my trip that I had running for 25 years. We left the 3rd Wednesday in August every year and got back on Saturday. I charted catch to moon phase so I could plan other trips and found that many other factures came into play much more in the catch total than moon phase. Things like current, water temp, weather, bait situation and others IMO play a much bigger role in catch numbers than the moon phase.
Will the pending El Nino play a factor? I have fished the central coast of California for 40 years and on my Birthday last year (New Years Eve) My son took me fishing and we had flat seas, warmer water, slower current and we came upon several kelp paddy's that were full of life & Barracuda ... We couldn't fish for them due to the load on the boat and Capt. Charlie not wanting 40 hook ups and 4 hours of tangles, but I did ask him what was the cause? Water temp and current. The Ling Cod were ferocious (40 keepers & over 100 undersized) & the reds were slow? I am smarter now than before.

Big Tim

Keta

El Nino messes up things off the Oregon coast and it's hard to get out most of the time.  Catching the occasional YT or dorado is nice and I've seen a stripped marlin on one trip during an El Nino year.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on May 14, 2014, 03:13:02 AM
El Nino messes up things off the Oregon coast and it's hard to get out most of the time.  Catching the occasional YT or dorado is nice and I've seen a stripped marlin on one trip during an El Nino year.

Seems like El Nino's in the past have been very productive here? Never heard of a Marlin out of Moro Bay ... We will get Albacore, but not like in the late 1980's & early 90's... Wow I'm dating myself  ;D I never gave much thought of the weather or water temps and such until the last few years...Fascinating...1989 or 90 I went out on the Mallard when they said we got Albacore and we were woke by Capt. Taylor at 0 Dark 30 and he and the deck hands started casting rods and handing off. Never before or since have I been part of or witnessed anything like that. I don't remember how many I reeled in or who's rod it was on. WFO I guess.

Tim

Keta

Last year the south cost didn't have many albacore but the north coast had a good season.  20-30 and much more fish per boat is common, private boats not charter.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

El Nino does play a factor, mostly positive here in So Cal and south but once in a while not so much. One of the strongest El Nino years, can't remember which year though but it was the year a Marlin was caught in Washington State, I was dreaming of huge dorado and YFT for our trip. Sadly that was one of the worst trips we had since the water had warmed so much that all the bait fish had moved way north. The water was like a wasteland, gin clear, barren and not holding life. There was alot of kelp patties since most of it died along our coast and islands but no fish on them.

Not to worry though, things are shaping up nicely for your trip.

alantani

i know guys that specifically fish certain moon phases and tides.  they consider these factors to be critical.  personally, i fish on my days off between 6am and noon.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on May 14, 2014, 02:30:07 PM
i know guys that specifically fish certain moon phases and tides.  they consider these factors to be critical.  personally, i fish on my days off between 6am and noon.   ;D

I only fish on days ending with a "y".

Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Chris Gatorfan

Same here Keta...Fishing any other day would be uncivilized.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.