Mud Hole value E-glass blanks

Started by Ron Jones, May 14, 2014, 09:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Has anyone used these or has an opinion about them? My first build we be redoing an All Star of mine but after that I'm looking for an inexpensive rig to develop proficiency. I'm thinking this blank with Pac-Bay stainless guides and grip tape deckhand style handle to get my feet wet. I want to develop some skill before I put down any serious money.

Thanks!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

heard Batson/Forecast e-glass was good & cheap (maybe recently discontinued, or soon will be)

Ron Jones

I've always liked the Batson stuff. If their price is at the same level maybe I'll look there.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

Ron Jones

Cool, thanks.
I'm thinking I can get a rod together for less than $100.00 and have materials left over for the next rod that will be nicer.
Anyone ever actually fish with one of these?

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Topshot

I have a couple rods built off of the 40-60 cut down to 7'(12 inches off the butt). I can tell you for the money they are awesome blanks for a budget minded build. I have put these rods through hell and they have never let me down. I know for a fact they can handle 40 lbs of drag. I have literally tried to break one of those rods to see if I could and I haven't been able too. They have a sensitive tip but PLENTY of backbone.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

Ron Jones

So it turns out my first blank will be a Sabre #1765. It is a 10-50# nypoxy rod from the California Tackle Co. when they were in Bell, Ca. (for those of you who know about Sabre.) One guide is shot. It currently has the old tall roller stripper and tip with unbraced wire guides in between. I am planning on following Mudhole's spacing w/ Pac Bay XBBG braced wire guides sized 8,8,8,10,12,16. I am planning a basic underwrap / overwrap with maybe metallic silver trim rings. I plan on fishing it with a Newell Albacore Special sized Jigmaster with straight 30 pound line.

Anyone see an issue with my plan or have a recommendation?
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

mikeg24thst

I have also built some rods from the value e glass from mudhole but I have taken 1' from the top and used a size 20-22 top I used the 50-80lb 8' blanks put some Avet 30 wides on them not bad blanks at all I have also built some 8' 20-50 and 7' 20-50 lb blanks and have caught 46" black drum  I do have pics of the rods in action but don't know how to post them