Shimano Charter special tr2000

Started by kchancey, July 16, 2010, 09:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteman

"my buddy talked me into buying a casting reel. yesterday i bought a shimano charter special 2000"

kchancey, you have simply got the wrong reel for the job. These things are designed to be tough as nails overheads for bottom bashing over the side of a charter boat. My 13yo kid loves his for reef fishing (and his dad caught a 22kg Spanish Mackerel with it recently). Casting? Experts and desperates only nomatter how many modifications you make. Go back to your spin reels. But the Charter Special when fully spooled packs a punch.

Ellis Feibush

One of the things we used to do to fine tune casting, was to attach the jig you're going to use to the end of the line after the line is fed through the rod guides (with reel mounted on the reel seat, of course). Then drop the jig to the floor, boat deck or whatever. There should be some friction when it's dropped. You can visually adjust the friction of that particular lure by turning the casting adjustment knob on the right side of the reel. Don't be afraid to adjust it on the slightly tight side as the lure starts to drop slowly, but not too slowly. It mustn't drop as if in free spool. That'l cause backlashes every time. You must see the lure drop in a controlled way. Then you know you're getting closer to the friction tension required for the weight of that particular lure. It takes some patience and time but works well when properly adjusted. When casting, feather the right side of the metal spool itself with your thumb. Don't feather the line. That'l get you into trouble much of the time. Good luck casting. It took me a lifetime learning how to cast and I think I still could use a lot of improvement.

akfish

Not all reels are designed to allow use of the spool bearing as a cast control device. In particular, almost all of the Penn conventionals -- this includes the Jigmaster -- should always be fished with a tiny amount of spool side to side slop. If the spool does not have this play, you can ruin the bearings or, worse yet, warp the side plates if you keep tightening the end bearings and fish heavy drag. I see this very frequently in the shop. Many people don't read the brochure that comes with the Penn reels and use the end bearings to stop backlashes just lke you would in a genuine casting reel like an Ambassadeur.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Norcal Pescador

Amen, akfish! Many Daiwas come with the adjusting knob for casting drag, like the Ambassaduers. If there is a knurled knob under the star drag wheel, you probably have this feature.

kchancey, keep working with the Jigmaster (or other conventional reel).  I started out on a spinner and have found the conventionals are a lot more fun and functional. I'll never sell my Jigmaster even if it is outclassed by my red-plate Senators and Sealine 350H.

Tight lines . . . .

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD