revo madness!

Started by alantani, July 18, 2010, 07:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

you guys are really gonna hate me for this.

the revo has a stainless steel ratched gear that bangs up against the kick lever when you turn the handle. this kick lever then pushes to thumb bar up and clicks the reel back into gear. the kick lever is made of a softer alloy. it's some type of pot metal. it is not cast surgical grade 316 stainless steel. that's what it has to be made out of. and it's not. so what is happening is that the top of the kick lever is eventually worn away. now suddenly the reel will not go back into gear. ambassaduer apparently has recognized this problem and has placed a stainless steel insert into the kick lever. this will take care of the problem.

the only issue remaining is to identify those reels that have a kick lever with a stainless steel insert, and those that do not. i know i've missed a couple of staff meetings, but i have not heard of this being discussed prior. here are the photos.

here's the ratched gear and kick lever. see how the kick lever is worn away?

the corner is completely gone!

it's not hard to change. you have to remove the two screws that hold the jack plate and hope those two springs don't take flight.

here's another one with the same problem.

this may help someone identify the reel if needed in the future.

here's the worn kick lever.

ok, so what i did was i had these reels to fix back in april and called ambassaduer for 2 months looking for replacement kick levers. they kept on saying that they were on back order, first until june, then july. the last time i called, the nice lady at ambassaduer decided to connect me to the service department for some unknown reason. i spoke to a guy there named sonny. i explained my problem, didn't tell him who i was or where i was, just told him that i had two reels with the same problem and i had them cracked open and was waiting for parts. so get this. the guy says that he will pull apart two reels and give me the kick levers out of these reels. that's right. he did just that and they arrive 5 days later. no charge, but, um, also no real explanation.

so here's where i'm at right now. first, the original revos apparently have a kick lever that is made of a softer metal alloy and a hard stainless steel ratchet gear underneath the main gear. in at least two reels that i've seen, the kick lever was chewed up. ambassaduer must be aware of this issue because they send me a kick lever with a stainless steel insert that i believe will totally eliminate this problem. second, in my conversations with abu, i made a friend and his name is sonny. and now i'm going to kick him in the teeth after he did me a favor and i'm going to post a problem about his reels. look guys, i feel really bad about this, but you have to know. maybe i missed it, but did ambassaduer come out with a service advisory telling people that there was a problem with the revos? if they didn't, it might be a good idea, but far be it from me to tell a reel company what to do with their own reels.........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

i was thinkin about the revolation of the revolution,and it makes you wonder when they have a good product why put a shitty part in it to spoil.hope SONNY was his numb da plumb

alantani

it could be a real deal breaker.  this could involve ALL of the original revos, and there are thousands of them out there.  sort of reminds me of the problems that toyoto had........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pro Reel

That same trip lever is in a whole lot of bass casting reels. It's one of the most common parts I change in several brands of low profile casting reels. It's good to see that Abu has decided to make it better, but I wonder if they are going to put the better one in all the new reels that come from the pure fishing plants, or just some of them. Pure builds reels under lots of brand names including most store brands. The reels that come from the Pure factories are not the only brands that have a weak trip lever, I've seen worn and chipped levers in several other brands also. On a seperate note, the worst problem I have been seeing a lot of is reels that are full of small plastic shavings. I'm talking a mini rats nest of plastic fiber. The offender is Quantum reels. They seem to have very poor quality control when it comes to deburing the pinion gear. They dont have a metal plate on the pinion cradle and the pinion gear drills itself into the cradle, producing a rats nest of shavings. It would be nice if these companies would take all the best ideas and the best parts and then build some reels that would actually last a lifetime, but if they did, it would be very expensive and then no one would need to buy new reels every few years.

wallacewt