Tld 15 and 25 rebuilds but not the drags

Started by cliffsharker, July 21, 2010, 10:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffsharker

Hi  Alan Tani,

Fantastic forum...super info on reel rebuilds and so well illustrated.

Just bought 4 Tlds..2 Tld 15 and 2 Tld 25s. Cant do the drag rebuild this time around but would like to corrosion x the bearings and grease the gears if need be. Writing you from Barbados ...no corrosion x oil here... only the aerosol can...good enough?

I am a hand liner ....first reels I will be using. Not familiar with reels. Can you please tell me which steps I have to skip on the rebuilds if I am not going to change the drags. This may seem very obvious to someone familiar with reel mechanisms  but for me I need your help please.

Thank you,
Charles

Bryan Young

Hi Charles, 

Welcome.  Basically follow http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36.0 and you'd be good to go.  The only difference is that you will not be replacing the drag washer.  Good luck and let us know how it came out.  If you run into any problems, just post your questions and I'm sure someone will respond.

CorrosionX comes in aerosol cans as well.  I spray mine into a bottle with a needle end.  I think others use use similar things as well or just spray slowly from the can.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cliffsharker

Hi Brian ...thanks for the response...in reference to the rebuild of the Tld 25...to quote Alan Tani:

"these bearing are gummed up, but not rusted.  with a small pen knife, pry out the shields and let's clean them out with carb cleaner and compressed air, then lube them with corrosion x.  by cleaning the bearings rather than replacing them, we'll save someone $40-50!"

I will be doing this rebuild on brand new reels ..Tld 25s and Tld 15s:

1-once you pry these shields , are they reusable?

2-do i need to clean them out with compressed air even if they are they brand new? what about the carb cleaner...what am I actually cleaning out with the carb cleaner on brand new bearings?

Thanks Brian

Bryan Young

Hi Charles,

1.  The sheilds are sometimes reusable, but have learned through Alan and his merry men, that they really are not needed.  In fact, some Shimano reels are now using unshielded bearings.  This will allow water to escape the bearings and reduce rusting.

2.  I've seen people clean new bearing out and others that don't.  I'm one of those that don't clean out NEW bearings that are going to be greased.  I just pack them with grease forcing out the grease that came in the bearings.  If you are going to CorrosionX them, I'd clean them out with carb cleaner, force air dry.  The carb cleaner is to clean out any grease or oils in the bearing that you don't want there.  CorrosionX and the TSI stuff Alan is now using actually bonds to the metal, so the cleaner the surface, the better the bond.

Hope this helps.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cliffsharker

Hey Brian

Thanks for the prompt response . I will give this rebuild a shot perhaps tonight.

Thank you,
Charles