tyrnos problems

Started by alantani, July 22, 2010, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Thanks for the thoughts re. the grooves. Can't get my head past the thought that those grooves will be slicing through the drag washer weave. Very tempted to lapp the grooves out and then polish the plate to a mirror finish.

Clem

They should at least be smooth? not rough to the touch...on ocassion I have lightly laped various washers..1200 grit on a glass board or similar

Rothmar2

Was thinking the same thing Clem, although these ridges will probably need something a bit heavier to remove. Will probably have to work from 600 up.
Its gotta wait, got a date with some SBT's this weekend......lots of SBT's!

Rothmar2

Would just like to add as a follow-up for those reading this from Australia. Took the photos show to a local tackle shop, and then showed them this thread. They got in contact with Shimano Australia, and am pleased to say, they sent through a new washer, one of better quality, with no charge. Thank-you to you guys at Shimano Aus. if you're reading this.

Unfortunately, they had a heap of other Tyrnos from the same batch number in the warehouse. At least they are aware there could be an issue with the quality of the drag washers, and they are keen to support customers with replacements.

outsiderskip

would anyone have the metric size to suit the bearings on a trynos 20
pete

wishiniwasfishin

Hi all have got a question about the Tyrnos 30 and its drag capabilities, I was in a light tackle comp on the weekend and had a problem with setting the drag to 3kgs. Is this normal or is there something I can do to improve it, I already have a greased carbon tek washer in it and use Cals drag grease (the tan coloured one). Any ideas would be great as light tackle season just starting here in Cairns.

Thanks
Mark

alantani

would it not stay at 3kg, or could you just not dial it back far enough.  i would not have though that a light setting would be a problem.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wishiniwasfishin

Hi Alan, the problem was getting it there it seem to jump from .5 to 4kg and after setting it on first morning relatively easily the following morning it registered .5 and was difficult to get right. I service reels here and any info would be great.

Bobsled 55

So, just saw this thread and I see that my Tyrnos 12II is made in Malaysia and has the bad codes.  So my question is, can I trust that Shimano has addressed this quality issue with the drag washer by now and get an OEM washer or just get one from Dawn?

TIA

Bryan Young

I have found many to be fine.  The material is that loopy spongy carbon fiber carpet looking disk.  Personally, at lower drag setting, you will be fine, but if you are using braid, I would go with CarbonTex for sure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bobsled 55

Thanks Bryan.  Yes, I'm using braid with a mono TS.  Mono is 40# so that equates to 10 lbs of drag.  I'm going on a trip on Monday and would like to use the reel, so I'll try to look at it this weekend, if not once I return.

Rob

Bryan Young

Try it out with the current drag material.  if you don't like how it feels, order a new drag washer from Dawn at SmoothDrag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rothmar2

I'm still not 100% convinced Shimano is on top of the issue with the drag washers on these. The following pix are of the drag washer from a 30 II, that has been fished out of the box for less than 12 months with light use. Bits are falling off, and in the second photo you can see the carbon weave pulling away from the composite backing. Batch code is KG-P.
Shimano Aus. is sending me a bag to send the entire reel to them for inspection. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.....

Rothmar2

Just to follow up on this drag washer fault, with a (yet another) example of how "service" is provided in this country. 
I have previously posted in this thread about the faults with the washers on this line of reels.
  In reply #78 Shimano Aus were very helpful with providing replacement washers, with no charge. They acknowledged there was a problem, and apparently had a re-call of the same batch coded reels to check how big a problem it was (as I had been told by the tackle shop who provided the reels).
  Two years on, and things are vastly different. I rang Shimano Aus about this, and straight away I was told by the person at the other end of the line (who I know for a fact was working at Shimano Aus 2 years ago, as I had personally spoken to him about another issue with a Tiagra at this time) who denied he had ever heard of problems with the delaminating of the carbon off the composite backing in this series of reels.
   I told them that this fault had been pointed out on this forum dating back to 2010, and about how Shimano had supplied two replacement washers through the local tackle shop for the reels in the previous posts.
This he also denied would have ever happened.
He then says he would like to see the reel, and that they would send a return bag to me so it could be delivered to their service centre for their inspection. I cleared this with the reel's owner, and he was happy to go through this process, even with the lost time of usage on his reel.
  Two days later, a courier turns up with the return bag. Not only is it of in-sufficient size to contain the reel, but also I apparently had to pay postage to send the reel to them, when it was their request to inspect it. 
  So I rang them again, and discussed the problem. I got put onto someone different, who also claimed he had never heard of this delaminating problem. The conversation was kept civil, but I did express that I thought it was unfair for me to be charged (and ultimately the owner) to post the reel to them. 
   So they agreed to send a larger pre-paid bag.
  I waited 5 days, and nothing turned up.
   So I took matters into my own hands.
   I ordered some 1.2mm thick CF sheet from http://m.ebay.com/itm/111495328332?nav=SEARCH

This arrived from the US in 8 days.

About 45mins work and I have the new washer made

The original washer, carbon lifts off easily using your fingernail

Greased this new washer up with Cal's. Drag is silky smooth, and ramps up as per the original. And I feel this aftermarket CF  sheet has superior bonding of the carbon to the inner laminate. The reel's owner is very happy with the result, and very disappointed with Shimano Aus's service and support.

And I'm still waiting for the second pre-paid bag......

exp2000

Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 04, 2013, 04:59:32 AM
OK will post the handle pix with a little more explaination later.

Forgot to post this one re. the Tyrnos.

Are the drag plates supposed to be grooved as in this photo (if you can make them out!). I suspect not. Have never seen drag plates grooved like this. Appears to be tool marks from manufacture? Any thoughts?

While there may be other reels that exhibit machine "grooves" in the pressure plate, I can't help look back at the polished mirror finish plates of the old TLD series. You could actually see your reflection!

However, I have discovered a much  more serious flaw with Tyrnos pressure plates. It seemed that on one reel I did, the outer rim of the plate had an edge that was chewing up the drag washer. Upon lapping the plate, it became evident that the surface was highly irregular. I checked a second one and same again. Seems that these plates are a long way from true.

At first I naturally worked under the assumption that they were basically flat to start with. So I started with 1200 grit but I am now working my way down through coarser grades. What I am seeing here is pretty disturbing - a couple of isolated high spots while the bulk of the plate exhibits zero contact. Obviously this is not going to yield anywhere near optimal performance in a protracted game contest. This is some very poor machining from Shimano.

I happen to own one of these reels myself. Gonna have to pull it down now and see what the pressure plate in mine looks like.
~