tyrnos problems

Started by alantani, July 22, 2010, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 12, 2015, 01:22:46 AM
Shimano Aus. is sending me a bag to send the entire reel to them for inspection. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.....

The groved plate is disconcerting, and the highly irregular/untrue surface even more so.  This seems to be a quality control issue.  It will be interesting to hear what the good folks at Shimano have to say regarding these issues.

Likely, little will be said other then sending out replacement parts or a new reel.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

exp2000

QuoteHowever, I have discovered a much  more serious flaw with Tyrnos pressure plates. It seemed that on one reel I did, the outer rim of the plate had an edge that was chewing up the drag washer. Upon lapping the plate, it became evident that the surface was highly irregular. I checked a second one and same again. Seems that these plates are a long way from true.

At first I naturally worked under the assumption that they were basically flat to start with. So I started with 1200 grit but I am now working my way down through coarser grades. What I am seeing here is pretty disturbing - a couple of isolated high spots while the bulk of the plate exhibits zero contact. Obviously this is not going to yield anywhere near optimal performance in a protracted game contest. This is some very poor machining from Shimano.

I happen to own one of these reels myself. Gonna have to pull it down now and see what the pressure plate in mine looks like.
~

Finally got time between reels to finish off my Tyrnos 20 and naturally checked out the pressure plate.

Whilst it was slightly concave, it was still consistent and did not exhibit the isolated high spots of the 16's that I checked so overall I am pretty happy.

The stock carbon washer was pretty ragged though, despite the reel having seen hardly any use, so it was replaced with custom carbontex courtesy of my mate Tim who did a brilliant job.

Thanks Tim :)
~