Stradic 4000FJ Anti-Reverse Problem

Started by gatrapper, June 02, 2014, 09:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Where can I order one, where does it go, and how much does it cost? Is it something a novice can do?

gatrapper

handi2

When you assemble the RCA you must slightly turn the cover to catch the springs the right way or it won't work even though it all looks perfect. Maybe John can explain.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: gatrapper on June 03, 2014, 09:49:26 PM
Where can I order one, where does it go, and how much does it cost? Is it something a novice can do?

Good news and bad news :).

The good news is that you can drop it in like, easy as pie. Far easier than anything you have done so far.

The bad news is that it is not sold separately. The RCA is sold as an assembly only. :(

Call Shimano customer service on their 800 number. Pretty sure the assembly with sleeve is like $20 or so.

best

johndtuttle

Quote from: gatrapper on June 03, 2014, 10:05:49 PM
This piece?

No, that's the spool clicker with some shims to adjust line lay.

handi2

Looking at your picture see how the springs are sticking out? Slightly turn the cover clockwise as you place it back on the RCA so it catches the springs and puts them under pressure to push on the rollers. I will see if I have the sleeve needed to fix your reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: handi2 on June 03, 2014, 10:07:54 PM
When you assemble the RCA you must slightly turn the cover to catch the springs the right way or it won't work even though it all looks perfect. Maybe John can explain.

best I can do is refer you to that Mattk post "roller clutch on Sedona". It should not surprise us that a full photo tutorial is needed to do this Japanese nesting puzzle.

Shimano kills me sometimes. They certainly have their QC issues like anyone else once in awhile, but you cannot fault the attention to detail in their engineering. Some would say less is more, others pursue the best regardless of complexity.

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on June 03, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
Looking at your picture see how the springs are sticking out? Slightly turn the cover clockwise as you place it back on the RCA so it catches the springs and puts them under pressure to push on the rollers. I will see if I have the sleeve needed to fix your reel.

X2
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

gatrapper

I did twist the top of the RCA and none of the springs are sticking out.

gatrapper

johndtuttle

That's it  ;).

If I remember correctly...

gatrapper

Wooo hoooo! Got it to work!!! I don't know what I did, but I went and took every single piece of the reel apart and slowly put it together (like 10 times) again making sure everything was exactly perfect. I put some Cals grease on certain parts and after a dozen or so new grey hairs the reel is working.

I can't thank y'all enough for sticking with me on this post and helping me out!

johndtuttle

Quote from: gatrapper on June 04, 2014, 01:05:24 AM
Wooo hoooo! Got it to work!!! I don't know what I did, but I went and took every single piece of the reel apart and slowly put it together (like 10 times) again making sure everything was exactly perfect. I put some Cals grease on certain parts and after a dozen or so new grey hairs the reel is working.

I can't thank y'all enough for sticking with me on this post and helping me out!

Probably had the sleeve upside down as above. Stoked we could help you (that is, if we did at all other than encouragement). :D