3 inches of fresh ginger
½ Tsp of ground ginger
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice wine
1 Tsp fish sauce
Fresh cilantro (2 Tbsp of which is chopped)
Kosher salt + White pepper

Gut and scale the fish.  Run the fish under cold water to flush out the cavity.  Take some paper towels and blot the fish to get most of the moisture off.  Place fish on a heat proof plate that will fit in a Chinese bamboo steamer.  Sprinkle fish with kosher salt and white pepper and place 2 or 3 pieces of fresh ginger into the cavity, set aside.

Put the 3 tbsp of water in a cup and add the powdered ginger.  Mix to create a slurry and set aside.  Slice green onion into 1 inch pieces and then into julienned strips.  I half way up the green onion slice tiny rings from the stalk and save for garnish.  Peel and slice the fresh ginger.

In a sauce pan heat the peanut oil until it shimmers.  Put in the garlic and let it sizzle for about 10 seconds.  Stop the garlic from browning by adding the rice wine.  When the pan settles down add the sesame oil, soy sauce, fish sauce and ginger water and green onion (without the little rings) and chopped cilantro.   Let simmer for about 5-7 minutes.

Spoon a couple of tsp of the cooked sauce in the cavity and over the top of the fish.  Then  place Chinese steamer in a large pan and steam for 12-15 minutes. .  The scalloped sections of the fish should just be separating.

Pour off any liquid that is in the plate and carefully transfer the fish to an oval shaped platter.  Pour the cooked sauce over the fish and garnish with sprigs of cilantro, fresh ginger strips and the green onion rings. 

Use a fish fork and spoon or two spoons to scoop the fish into servings and serve with steamed rice and a neutral vegetable like broccoli, asparagus or string beans.   

Remember you are the chef.  Feel free to vary the ingredients to suit your taste.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Dominick, your recipe looks great. Maybe it will work with other fish. There aren't too many rockfish here.  :(  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dominick

Quote from: Cone on June 05, 2014, 12:55:39 AM
Dominick, your recipe looks great. Maybe it will work with other fish. There aren't too many rockfish here.  :(  Bob
Yes Bob:  It works best with fish that have a consistency similar to bass.  The only fish that comes to mind in you area is grouper.  Fish like shark, marlin and swordfish are too dense to steam ok.  Hey don't take my word for it try it on any fish, also alligator.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

That sounds delicious!  I am tempted to go pick up an opakapaka (hawaiian deepwater Red Snapper) just to give it a try.  Thanks for the recipe.  I love steamed fish!  Though I may have to forgo the bamboo steamer in favor of my tried and true tinfoil. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TomT

TomT

Dominick,
I will definitely keep and try this recipe.  It sounds great. 
       Just a story from Baja.  While in Baja earlier this year, I was talking to some Mexican friends and I stated that I thought Marlin was too tough and not worth the trouble.  They said they would come over to my house in about a week and fix some marlin and see if I still felt the same.  They came with about a 10# marlin roast and cut it into approx 1" cubes.  They diced about 3 white onions and a head of garlic and some mild chile peppers.  They had 2# each of sliced ham lunchmeat and sliced american cheese.  There were a couple of small cans of mild Mexican tomato sauce.  There were 2 cubes (1/2#) of melted butter.  This was all mixed together and placed into large foil packs and cooked at low heat in pans on the stovetop for at least 1/2 hour.  We had typical mexican condiments for tacos and some rice and beans.  We also had lots of Pacifico and sodas for the kids.  We had 8 adults and 7 kids.  This food was great and was some of the best machaca I have had.  We had lots of tacos for everyone and we also had leftovers for everyone.  I had previously tried marlin cooked different ways and never had it where I would eat it again.  This time the marlin was the best thing on the menu.
I can't wait to try your recipe for steamed rockfish. ;D
TomT

Caranx

Dominick,
Just curious, where did yo get that recipe from?

Stuart

Dominick

Caranx:  It's my recipe.  It's a variation on reading many recipes and taking ideas from each.  Also changing ingredients to my taste.  For example the last time I steamed fish and made the sauce I thought it would benefit from more ginger flavor.  So I used the old idea of mixing corn starch with water and making a slurry but used ginger powder instead.  That is why I wrote on the bottom to experiment and vary the ingredients. 

Tom:  I have a chunk of Marlin in my freezer now.  The last time I cooked it, I baked it with tomatoes, garlic and basil (Provencal style) with Greek olives.  It was delicious.  It is one of those fishes that can go from delicate to tough in seconds.  The cubing was the secret so that even if it overcooked a tough piece in a tortilla would not be bad.  Thanks for sharing that story.  It is also good quick poached and made into a salad with just salt, white pepper, garlic, parsley and olive oil and served at room temperature.  Tuna comes out good like this also.  Dominick

Caranx

Dominick,
I see. There is a similar variation that has been used in or islands for generations.
We use it for some of our reef fish and our deep seven bottom fish.
We use the smoking hot peanut oil to drizzle over the fish just before serving.
Delicious!

Stuart

Dominick

Quote from: Caranx on June 06, 2014, 08:46:55 AM
Dominick,
I see. There is a similar variation that has been used in or islands for generations.
We use it for some of our reef fish and our deep seven bottom fish.
We use the smoking hot peanut oil to drizzle over the fish just before serving.
Delicious!

Stuart
Stuart:  I learned that trick from my mother.  She would heat olive oil until smoking.  Put in minced garlic and paprika and pour it into lentil soup.  A chef at a seafood restaurant here in town uses sesame oil and garlic and pours it over Chilean Sea Bass just before serving.  I do it at home but I won't pay the ridiculous price for Chilean Sea Bass anymore.  Dominick

Caranx

Thanks Dominick,
I gotta try those recipes!

ChileRelleno

Thanks for sharing your recipe.  8)

I wish I still had some whole Sheepshead, this sounds like it would suit them perfectly.
I'm betting on some puppy drum too.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

jon_elc

dominick, i just found this post.  that looks like a darn good recipe.

i make a sloppy similar version, but nothing is measured  (i don't use fish sauce but i'll give that a shot next time.  here's a couple of pics of my 'recipe' on 2 of the rockfish we got out with Alan and Ben.  i don't have a big steamer, so i just steam it in the bowl in the wok, also pouring out the liquid before putting cilantro on top and covering with my heated oil/soy sauce mixture (and i should throw garlic in here, too!)  i just put the garlic/onions/ginger/green onions inside the fish and slices of ginger/garlic in the slits on the sides of the fish.

i'll bet yours looks prettier than mine, since i cut it to fit in my wok and probably tastier, too!  yes, I'm totally using your recipe next time!!  (i really should get a big steamer)

jon_elc

I'm not hijacking your thread, i'll post pics of your way after i do it.  nice, beautiful pictures vs. my hack jobs  ;D

El Pescador

Alan & Dominick fished yesterday - enjoyed a productive day of rockfish & lingcod.

Dominick dropped several Rockfish with his favorite local Asian Restaurant - a short distance from my home.

He called with dinner plans & the restaurant made Linda's favorite meal!!  Steamed Rockfish!!!

THIS WAS THE BEST & TASTEST ROCKFISH I've ever HAD!!!!   EVER HAD!!!!!

With steamed rice, braised cabbage in a fish sauce and tea we had dinner done!!!

Another shot!!!

Leftovers are in my frig and I'll be enjoying this same smaller meal for lunch.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!