Fishing VS. Catching

Started by Big Tim, June 10, 2014, 01:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

I fish because it brings great enjoyment to my life. I catch because it brings great joy to my life. This doesn't mean fishing and catching coincide.It means I love both aspects of the statement. Catching always brings joy, but if you can enjoy the hunt of the fish & the finish what ever the outcome may be, then you are a fisherman/women. My absolute greatest catch in my life was when my 9 year old son Mike an I rented a boat at Silver Lake in the Mammoth area...We got skunked and Mike was ready to be a boat anchor  >:( >:( >:  But I beered up and ate lunch then took the devil child to the creek in my shorts and fipflops, where I took the child knee deed in the water, armed with a 6' shimano an oKuma Inspira ... Red worms 2 beers & a few splitshots...The first cast was a classic Tim cast. 1 beer in the left hand and a 30' flip cast  under the trees into the shadows of a left turn full elbow in the creek & I immediately felt a hit... I handed the boy the rod and said REEL...After he fell face first in the creek and I stopped laughing I realized he had 1 flipflop floating, 1 hand on his hat and his right hand sticking out of the water holding the rod high...He reeled the 9" brook trout in for the only catch of the day...But we fished for hours together in peace...1 fish...1 great day in the life of a fisherman & a dad

cwillis85

Absolutely agree, I don't get out nearly as much as I would like, seems like since my daughter was born getting things for her almost always outweighs putting gas in the boat. Luckily my wife gets me well enough to know that I would rather have gas in the boat than a present. We moved from Colorado to Florida last July,  and as a kid I grew up in New York catching stripers off the Hudson. Spent all my time in Colorado trying to scratch my fishing itch but stock rainbow trout have never done it for me. Since moving to Florida I have been able to reignite my love for fishing and even got my wife onboard with the whole idea, (which makes it a whole lot easier to explain why we need more and more gear since she sees it in use.) My profile pic is of my favorite day of fishing yet, my wife, daughter, brother, and I went out and tied up to a mooring ball just over a reef in about 20 feet of water. Mostly I was just putting squid on my wife's hook and pulling grunts off, she isn't a fan of touching bait yet but getting better. After a few hours of this my wife was about ready to go, this allowed me to bait my own pole and sit down with my daughter who is about 18 months at the time of the trip. We let the bait hit the bottom and no sooner we got a bite. I had been practicing reeling in a washer with my daughter which she seemed to totally forget as soon as she felt something pulling back on the line. With some assistance from me we got the fish to the boat, after a day of grunts and the occasional random reef fish I was surprised to see a tile fish on the hook, I thought they were pretty exclusively deep water fish. My daughter got such a kick out of the experience,  when she sees a fish she whispers fishey, not sure why, once she saw this fish she let out the loudest whispered "fishey" ever. Ever since she rarely passes through the garage without wanting to cast a washer down the driveway.  May still be early but I think my little girl has been bit by the fishing bug.
Chris

alantani

you guys are lucky!  my wife is allergic to fish and gets seasick just looking at the boat.  my older daughter is allergic to fish as well, but both girls will go fishing with me. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SacFly

Nice stories.  My buddy Pablo is 11.  He is a family friend and expressed interest in fishing.  I dragged this kid all around New Jersey in some snotty spring conditions.  He was a real trooper.

2 trips and nothing.  The third trip we caught a few micro stripers on sandworms.  OK, so now the kid knows you can actually catch fish from the beach.  And then the bluefish arrived. 

Our fourth trip was spring bluefish mayhem at its best on a crisp, blue-sky day.

Keta

I "fish" to relax, I catch to eat.   

My son gets sea sick in the bay, my oldest daughter hunts more than fishes and lives in WE British Columbia.  My youngest daughter is never around to take out, she's on Borneo right now.  She can run my boat well and loves fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

anglingarchitect

My kids are both grown but they still fish with me and have since they were babies.