Side Jack Pot idear...

Started by johndtuttle, June 13, 2014, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Hey guys,

I'm not on this trip and wish you all the best of luck!

Usually I am not a jack pot kinda guy but on a trip like this with all good guys I would be tempted because otherwise I hate the potential drama :).

Anyways, as I get more and more retro ( :D ) the idea of a "side pot" came to me for "biggest fish caught on a rig costing less than $100".

Typically the side pots are "biggest BFT" or "biggest yellowtail" etc but in the spirit of this site and our rebuilding old gems etc I thought this might be a good idea for you all.

I know it's late in the game...would love to see a double dogged jigmaster and a old glass stick land a nice fish....get tired of the bling bling game sometimes.... :P

best

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 13, 2014, 06:15:10 PM
...would love to see a double dogged jigmaster and a old glass stick land a nice fish..

i have the dbl dogged 501 but no old glass stick... :(

Porthos

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 13, 2014, 06:15:10 PM...Anyways, as I get more and more retro ( :D ) the idea of a "side pot" came to me for "biggest fish caught on a rig costing less than $100"...

Would that include the cost of the braid?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Porthos on June 14, 2014, 02:19:46 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on June 13, 2014, 06:15:10 PM...Anyways, as I get more and more retro ( :D ) the idea of a "side pot" came to me for "biggest fish caught on a rig costing less than $100"...

Would that include the cost of the braid?

Well, It would be up to Alan I would think. If it was me I would just try and get guys involved and not be a stickler (this is very late in the game for such a proposal). But ideally I think it would, yes. Guys would probably fish straight 30lb mono old school style.

Ideally, I would love to do it someday on one of my trips. ;D

MarkT

Idear? You're not from around here are you? Do you think it's a good idear to go for a ride in the ca' to get some scrod? As I recall from my time in CT, if it ends in an 'r' you drop it and if it ends in an 'a', you add one.

Ya know, by the time you take a garage sale Jigmaster, upgrade the bridge, gear sleeve, gears, yoke, bearings, drags, handle, not to mention adding a frame and side plates, you're in well over $100 just for the reel. Of course, if you did all that you'd have a ProGear!

However, I'm one of them there tackle 'ho's so the oldest tech reel I'm taking is a Penn 525 Mag with a Torque handle that I've got about $150 in... so far. Well, actually, I got the reel for Christmas so I guess technically, I'm only out the $25 for the handle but the Phenix rod it rides on was pushing $200.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

I have a Newelled YTS on a Sabre stick that will be less than that with the line.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

i'm out.  most of my rigs are about $1k each!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

You heard that! A G each! :o
That's why he is El Jefe!
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I would say he is El Jefe because he can take a hundred dollar rig and make it perform better than most guys thousand dollar rigs.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

With Alan out I may have a shot... Ok a shot in the dark, but a shot none the less

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on June 14, 2014, 08:45:35 PM
i'm out.  most of my rigs are about $1k each!   ;D

Well, see that's the whole idear....to get rid of the "ringers" :D.

alantani

well, it didn't work out the way i hoped.  i brought all of those nice phenix rods but left my bag of reels at home!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on June 22, 2014, 04:46:59 PM
well, it didn't work out the way i hoped.  i brought all of those nice phenix rods but left my bag of reels at home!   ;D

O dang! Man, so sorry to hear that Alan. Long hours and rushing to get ready....happens :(.

Saw a photo of a VERY nice WSB and you, I bet that made you feel better  ;D.

floating doc

Yeah, but with a spinning reel! I guess that's ok, as long as you didn't hold it upside down and crank backwards (a common sight here in FL). ;D
Central Florida

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: noyb72 on June 15, 2014, 03:59:24 AM
I would say he is El Jefe because he can take a hundred dollar rig and make it perform better than most guys thousand dollar rigs.
Ron

Ron, Thursday morning you looked like a million bucks - old, green and wrinkled. :P ;)  Are you back on top now?

Take care, amigo.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD