low buget multipurpose rods

Started by txangler81, June 19, 2014, 03:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

I am looking for some rods for my penn reels(4-209s,1-309s,1-109,1-9,1-26,1-250,1-500,2-140,1-112h) I am currently looking at eagle claws line of rods. Does anyone fish with them or have experience with them. I primarily fish catfish and sand bass with occasional stripers and some bay and surf fishing in the Texas gulf.

Shark Hunter

If I'm looking for a cheaper rod, I usually go with an ugly stick. I haven't looked at the eagle claws. I recently picked this one up for my Surfmaster. It was fifty bucks at Field & Stream.

Oops. Wrong Picture.

Life is Good!

txangler81

sundaytrucka

I second the ugly sticks, second hand they can be had for very reasonable prices. I grew up using skakespeare rods as a kid, before I grew an ego and found "brand loyalty".
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Shark Hunter

Yes it is the GX-2. 6 footer, 8 to 20 lbs.
Life is Good!

txangler81

that exact rod is 39.99 at my local Walmart. I'm actually trying to spend $30 or less per rod due to lack of funds. I also like the nostalgic look of the eagle claw rods they still carry the wright and McGill name on them and look almost identical to the old ones as far as color and shape. I actually have an old 8.5' eagle claw powerlight spinning rod my grandpa gave me that im going to refurbish with new eyes and a new tip since about 2" of it is broke off and reattached with scotch tape lol.

Shark Hunter

I had a Gift Card to Field & Stream from Christmas for $75. That's the only reason I went there. It seems like a perfect match for my Surfmaster. You'll have to show me some pics of those Eagle Claw's. I have a lot more Beachmasters and Surfmasters that need rods.
Life is Good!

txangler81

the one with a the foam handle is a newer eagle claw starfire trolling rod. the other one is a powerlight spinning rod like the one I have but a lot better shape lol

Shark Hunter

Ahhh. Two piece. I already like the powerlight better because of its metal seat.
Life is Good!

txangler81

two piece good or bad and the powerlight and featherlight are the only current ones that have an aluminum seat and cork handles

Shark Hunter

I like two piece rods just because of the portability. I have a two piece rollered shark rod that is rated at 130. It threads on, and is my favorite. Its the one in the first picture with the 12/0 on it. Unfortunately it has been discontinued because of a patent infringement by aftco.
Life is Good!

txangler81

I am trying to find someone that sells the powerlight casting rods no luck yet almost all of the older eagle claw rods have metal reel seats. What size and rod and what weight line would you recommend for my 113h. I know you are the resident senator guru lol