trip report - spirit of adventure 6/16-21/2014

Started by alantani, June 22, 2014, 08:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

i think i may have said that i didn't like working on them. ;D ::) ::)

MAY HAVE SAID!! ;D ;D ;D
TomT

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on June 23, 2014, 10:29:20 PM
i think i may have said that i didn't like working on them.  i never said i didn't know how to use one!   ;D
I'm sending you one of my Penn ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on February 27, 2012, 07:58:22 PM
i hate spinners.......    ;D

in all fairness to our fearless leader, it was about repairs. obviously alan knows how to use - 50# braid right to the hook for the big boys. :o
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broschro

that's a monster broomtail  :o we call those scamp grouper in Florida. They do not get that big though.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Alan as always an excellent report. here's a big thanks to you...

anglingarchitect

Quote from: broschro on June 24, 2014, 01:30:37 PM
that's a monster broomtail  :o we call those scamp grouper in Florida. They do not get that big though.

Not sure they are they same species as Scamp.

TomT

Aiala

As I prep for my upcoming 4-day, I'm wondering: On your trip, what lb-test line (mono) was most frequently used? (I'm trying to decide what/how much to bring.)

Thanks!  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

I fished 12'-16' (from the reel to the rod tip and back to the reel) 30# and 50# Fluorocarbon leaders on 25# and 50# rigs for everything but trolling, my trolling rig had 80# mono.  The rigs I loaned Jimmer were set up the same way, 30# on the 25# rig and 50# on the 40# rig.  The first day Jimmer was the hot stick (7 YT), the second day he was right on top with several of us in the 7 to 8 YT range.

The topshots were longer than the 10' ones I usually use because the deckhands cut off a lot of hooks if they were deep so I didn't have to change the L-2-L topshots often.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

40lb and 50lb. ~30' of mono top shot to 5-6' of fluoro.

The Fin Nor LT100 had only ~12' of 50 lb mono top shot since I was casting/dropping/yoyoing jigs and irons on it--no flylining.

Aiala

Hm, guess I definitely need to buy some flouro... 30lb and 50lb, yes? I've never used the stuff before and caught tons of fish without it, but I gather it's practically de rigeur these days, so... back to the wallet. <sigh>  :-\

~A~

Can I attach it to the mono with a blood knot?
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

I hooked all my yellowtails with 40lb topshots. most of them with this setup, 50lb izorline spectra top with no more than 7' of fluoro. the 2nd one, my yoyo outfit, i started with straight ande 40lb clear mono and nothing till i tied a 6' fluoro using a uni-uni connection and voila 2 hook ups. guess the fluoro worked  ???...

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on June 25, 2014, 03:58:19 PM
Hm, guess I definitely need to buy some flouro... 30lb and 50lb, yes? I've never used the stuff before and caught tons of fish without it, but I gather it's practically de rigeur these days, so... back to the wallet. <sigh>  :-\

~A~

Yes. Practice (if needed) with mono to mono first before doing it for real with fluoro.

I used the triple surgeon's knot.

I had some of the Hi Seas Fluoro on the trip; it's the least expensive fluoro I've found:
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cshleader.htm

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on June 25, 2014, 03:58:19 PM
Hm, guess I definitely need to buy some flouro... 30lb and 50lb, yes? I've never used the stuff before and caught tons of fish without it, but I gather it's practically de rigeur these days, so... back to the wallet. <sigh>  :-\

~A~

Aiala:  Also put a drop of super glue on the knot.  I have had flouro unravel at the knot.  There is plenty of information on the net on best ways to attach.  Pick the easiest and use the glue.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.