trip report - spirit of adventure 6/16-21/2014

Started by alantani, June 22, 2014, 08:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

After the SOA trip I have decided that, other for abrasion resistance or areas where you will go through a lot of line, mono is for the birds. I used several different rigs, all of mine had mono and all the others were straight braid with a short floro leader. The floro got bit way more often and the sensitivity was amazing. I'm certain I would have brought more fish over the rail if I had nothing but braid and floro.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

johndtuttle

Quote from: noyb72 on June 25, 2014, 05:57:49 PM
After the SOA trip I have decided that, other for abrasion resistance or areas where you will go through a lot of line, mono is for the birds. I used several different rigs, all of mine had mono and all the others were straight braid with a short floro leader. The floro got bit way more often and the sensitivity was amazing. I'm certain I would have brought more fish over the rail if I had nothing but braid and floro.
Ron

The ways of the tuna-force are many and complicated :D.

Mono top shots still have their place for some applications, especially long fights on larger model fish. The issue is stretch to keep you connected and to produce less ability for the hook to wear a hole in the fish's mouth that can lead to pulled hooks. Fluoro has poor stretch.

One of the reasons I fish lighter rods than most is that when using straight braid to a short fluoro leader the softer rod helps me stay connected. When I fish a stiffer rod (for larger models) a little stretch is beneficial and the mono top shot (or longer leader) comes into play etc.

It's a system, ideally, of matched rod, reel and line components plus the angler knowing what he is working with to produce success.

Aiala

Dom, good tip on the glue, thanks! As for braid, it doesn't interest me, I am a mono gal all the way, but if fluoro equates to more bites, I can see how that's a definite plus. Gotta go order some forthwith. 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

small two speed reels, 400 yards of spectra, short fluorocarbon topshots, a tony pena know from the spectra to the fluoro, a carefully tied palomar from the fluoro to the hook.  no glue needed.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marc Fong

You guys look like you had a fantastic time. Congratulations to Alan for hitting it out of the park. Sure hope I can join you guys next year. Any more pictures?

Ron Jones

I agree with everything Alan said except the transmission. Dang things weird me out. An ecentric, star and crank are all I need. Maybe a click button on the left plate.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Aiala on June 25, 2014, 07:24:13 PM
Dom, good tip on the glue, thanks! As for braid, it doesn't interest me, I am a mono gal all the way, but if fluoro equates to more bites, I can see how that's a definite plus. Gotta go order some forthwith.  

~A~

I used 50 and 65# braid on my YT reels with a 5-foot 40# fluoro leader (topshot, whatever). I joined the braid and fluoro together using the Alberto knot with a drop of UV glue to secure things (like Dominick). Zero knot failures.
For trolling prison I used a short 80# fluoro leader joined to the 80# mono with a uni-uni. Terminal tackle knots were mostly San Diego Jam on 40 lb. and up with Palomars used on the small lines when making bait and for Calicos.

Note: I started off with 50# leaders, but didn't get many (or any) hits until I switched to 40#. I was fine with only 20# (Calicos & making bait), 40# (workhorse + YT), 50# for the BFT (that were playing hard-to-get), and 80# fluoro leaders (only because I 'borrowed' some). So 20, 40, and 50 lb. fluoro is all I really needed.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Aiala

Can I assume that fluoro isn't necessary on a yoyo outfit?   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Aiala,

I'm really not sure if it's necessary or not but this was the result when i tied a fluoro;

Quote from: ML B on June 25, 2014, 04:18:13 PM
....the 2nd one, my yoyo outfit, i started with straight ande 40lb clear mono and nothing till i tied a 6' fluoro using a uni-uni connection and voila 2 hook ups. guess the fluoro worked  ???...

johndtuttle

It is always hard to say that ones jig is definitely in front of a fish that wants to bite so changing to fluoro and then getting bit on iron is 'anecdotal' at best.

However, and this is a big HOWEVER, there is no question that Fluoro is more abrasion resistant. Anytime you are trying to avoid cut offs be they on teeth or the bottom fluoro is superior.

I really like it for Wahoo.

Now, Wahoo can even cut wire with their teeth so nothing is perfect, but they also get wire shy.

Fluoro is the best of all worlds, imo, when abrasion resistance is indicated.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: ML B on June 27, 2014, 08:53:31 PM
Aiala,

I'm really not sure if it's necessary or not but this was the result when i tied a fluoro;

Quote from: ML B on June 25, 2014, 04:18:13 PM
....the 2nd one, my yoyo outfit, i started with straight ande 40lb clear mono and nothing till i tied a 6' fluoro using a uni-uni connection and voila 2 hook ups. guess the fluoro worked  ???...

I agree with Mel ....
It could be a visibility thing. Fluoro is more transparent in the water than nylon mono. I'm an old school kind of guy, but I'm a believer in super braids, fluorocarbon line, and thanks to Mel, small two-speed reels.  8) :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Big Tim

Aiala, For what it's worth I didn't catch one fish using Fluorocarbon ... Not one broken knot, only a semi spooled HX 5/2 by a seal and the 65# Power Pro broke. I used double uni's and San Diego Jam knot, but the fish weren't that large either 40# and under mostly. And by the way I had greased drags on the HX and it was smooth as silk until full lock down >:( ...Have fun on your trip.

Big Tim

Nessie Hunter

AMAZING TRIP !!!!
Thanks to all for the information and reports, videos, pics and stories.

;D ;D ;D

Have been waiting for a full write up (to live vicariously)..
Good job Alan. Great trip, great group, great boat and crew!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Fish-aholic

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on June 29, 2014, 04:04:19 PM
AMAZING TRIP !!!!
Thanks to all for the information and reports, videos, pics and stories.

;D ;D ;D

Have been waiting for a full write up (to live vicariously)..
Good job Alan. Great trip, great group, great boat and crew!!

x2

What a cracking trip. I hope it's the first of many the members here have together!!!  ;D

alantani

you know what would be nice is a trip to alaska or british columbia.  particularly if my wife could take a side trip while i fish. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!