D.A.M. Quick 110N -- Bullet Proof Little Microlite

Started by foakes, June 28, 2014, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Yo Broadway, read the reply #44 just before yours. Fred explains where he got the goods.  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

tristan

Fred,

Any mechanical instrument that's made so that your grandkids can still use it 30 years from now, well, that's worth a look.

Any advice which models would be appropriate for say a 9' surf rod, between 14-20 lb. test?   

Thanks,

Tristan

foakes

Hi Tristan --

Either a DAM Quick 270 old green Super -- or a DAM Quick 5001.

Both will do a fine job --

Both need to be properly prepped for the surf -- complete cleaning and disassembly, Yamaha Marine grease on all internals -- including the bearing -- upgrade drags to Cal's Greased CFs -- spool with up to 25 pound test -- and you are good to go.

Neither of these reels will break the bank -- the Super is less expensive, simpler, and probably stronger -- but it is not as pretty as the 5001, which is also a top quality surf reel.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

txangler81

Fred what about the 500 and 500n What is there line rating.

Dustin

tristan

Fred, thanks for the info.   I'm thinking the retro look is a good one for the 9' rod I'm going to pair it with, so I'll keep my eyes out for a 270.

I've also seen a few 550's online, they must be the large economy size!

The pictures of your workshop are at once inspiring, and humbling!

P.S.  Sorry for the thread drift...

foakes

Hi Dustin --

A 550 and 550N will handle up to 25 lb. Test mono, comfortably.

30 lb. mono can be spooled -- but casting performance suffers.

Of course, this is only considering mono lines.  With the new braids, higher line tests can be achieved -- with double the yardage on the spool.

For example a 550 will hold 300 yards of 20 lb. mono -- twice that with braid, and twice the line test rating.

Now, the other issue has to do with plastic spools holding braid -- not a good idea -- IMO.

The 550 and 550N have plastic spools.  They are fine for most uses -- but for surf fishing a metal spool is best.

They will all do fine -- the 270 and 5001 will do the best in the rough stuff.  There are many reasons why this is so -- but it does get technical as well as practical -- and I do not want to bore folks with engineering details.

Although the line guides on all of the Quicks are carbide tungsten -- the braid could do damage to the spools.

The 270, 5000, 5001, and 5002 -- all have metal spools.  The 270 is the traditional earlier spool -- the last 3 have skirted spools.

I can go into tons more detail -- but I do not want to be the guy, who when asked what time it is -- proceeds to tell you how to build a watch.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

tristan

foakes

Hi Tristan --

The 270 would also be my choice -- and is for surf fishing.

You can pick up a decent one for $30 to $60 -- but expect to put another $30-$40 into parts, to get it salt ready and capable.  This is because these reels were used hard -- and the technology has improved in some of the things we can do to these reels.  Particularly greases and drags.

Gear ratio is fairly fast and capable of handling weight -- at 3:2 to 1.

All parts of this model are galvanic treated to help prevent salt corrosion.

If you find a good example -- after you break it down to inspect, clean, and service -- don't worry about parts.  I have most parts you may need as new old stock.

If you cannot find a 270 to your liking -- I have plenty, and you could get one from me.

Below is an example of one I set up for Daron.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

txangler81

Fred thanks for the info. I don't know if there is such a thing as to much info on here. I myself love to learn about all these different reels and the engineering and mechanics behind them.
Dustin

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on April 07, 2015, 05:47:17 AM

-- and I do not want to bore folks with engineering details.

I can go into tons more detail -- but I do not want to be the guy, who when asked what time it is -- proceeds to tell you how to build a watch.

Best,

Fred
YOU CANT BE SERIOUS? Bore a bunch of reel nerds with details about a well made reel...REALLY? Please go on!

fsrmn

Being the owner of one, soon to be two, Dam Quick reels, I would love to hear more details on how good they are. ;D
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

tristan

Well Fred, I was too quick on the bidding, and now am the proud owner of a 270 and a 550.  

The bids were in before you posted the offer, above.  

I appreciate it though, and after the first look at these two which arrived today, I have to say your title of this thread could be extended to these models as well - they seem bulletproof as well!   Just stout as heck.

The 550 was listed as having upgraded drags and a replacement metal spool, and have to say I like both reels!
Both seem very heavy duty.   Haven't opened them up and likely won't for a while as they seem to be running good and too many other required projects await, but my initial feeling is they'll be great.  The only issue I've noted so far is the small rubber bumper which cushions the bail arm return on the 270, is worn out.   Need to find one or fabricate a silicon replacement.   That, and measure for carbon fiber drag washers, of course.

They're impressive enough that I'll move some other toys, and then perhaps I can relieve you of some of yours!     ;-)

Already thinking about a 110n, and 330 or 331 (Perhaps a Finessa?)...    Probably the 331...   That would be a good size for a medium inshore rod, wouldn't it?

You've created a monster.  :-)

Anyway, I really appreciated your original post, the pics of your workshop, and the knowledge that you are so generous in sharing with us.   Knowing that you have the parts and experience necessary to make them right really brought confidence to buying such vintage products.    

Thanks!

foakes

Sounds like you are on the right track, Tristan --

Before you fish these, though, I would recommend breaking into the body to inspect the gears and bearing.

In the old days, before grease technology improved so much -- the grease used in the old Quicks was a kind of brown stuff.  Although any grease is good -- this stuff would turn to a hard beeswax -- if not used regularly.  And certain parts would have grease coverage -- and other parts were bare.

Could be that the previous owner upgraded the grease -- but for me, I would do a service to make sure -- and to also become more familiar with your new reels.

Spend a little time, paying attention to the engineering and observing the reasons for certain systems that other reels do not have -- you might be impressed.

To me, the tight tolerances of these reels, even after 40 or 50 years -- is impressive.  Built to last.

Good luck & let me know if you need anything.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

tristan

I'll take your sound advise, Fred.   They'll be cleaned, and lubed before getting wet.

I'll send you a PM if there's any parts necessary.

Thanks again.

Tristan

newfuturevintage

Yikes.  Looking through this thread has got me scratching my chin about this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/4990684687.html

It's been up on the local CL for a month or two now; seller's been dropping the price, I think from $75 initially to $45 now.

And it's on my way home from work.  If I bought it, I think I'd have to hide it from my wife :)

Must. Not. Acquire. More. Reels....