D.A.M. Quick 110N -- Bullet Proof Little Microlite

Started by foakes, June 28, 2014, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

First off -- apologies to those on the board that do not like to work on spinners -- but I wanted to share this.

This is a little D.A.M. Quick 110N Microlite that would barely turn due to no maintenance since new (1983).  The factory brown grease was hard and waxy.

Clients son had used it and lost a couple of the drag washers from the spool assembly.

Broke it down, ultrasonically cleaned all parts, replaced the missing parts with new ones, reassembled, Yamaha MG lubed & synthetic oiled, adjusted, spooled up 125 yards of 4 LB Trilene XT, returned to client ready to fish.

After nearly 40 years of doing this -- these Quicks never cease to amaze me. 

The tolerances from the factory are still maintained, aluminum body & rotor, steel worm-drive with bronze gears, oversize ball bearing, crisp snap of the bail, asbestos hex drags top & under spool, front drag, all of the components are of good quality materials including -- bronze, steel, aluminum,copper.  Even the "C" clips are of superior quality.  Adjustable trip on the bail return.  Overbuilt to last.

They may not be pretty -- but they sure work & hold up well.  Simple and well engineered.

Best,

Fred

URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/imagejpg1_zps62031ff1.jpg.html][/URL]

b

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Thanks for that Fred!

Those old worm drives are amazing. In these days of "planned obsolescence" I will myself never get tired of tools that last 30 years with minimal maintenance.

;D

ps. If you haven't already go to Alan Hawk's site and read a great review of a vintage DAM reel there plus a little history of DAM reels and where they are today.

Bill B

Sweet...reminds me of my favorite spinners...Mitchell 300's...good job brother..
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

As a kid that started fishing in the 50's with an Airex Spinning Reel & ended up with a Mitchell 300 & 306 if you saw someone with a Quick they had a good job to afford it. I also liked the Green Penn Spinning Reels but that's something else.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Disassembled, cleaned, and restored 5 old level winds for a Client yesterday.

Ambassadeur 4000, 5500, 5000, Shakespeare SKP 2000, plus a Penn MAG 10.  All work like watches now, but really got hung up on the Penn 10 -- it had been damaged inside in and around the level wind assembly.  So after having it apart 8 times to isolate various issues -- ended up replacing the worm screw, pawl, worm shield, nylon idler gear, and the brass worm drive gear, and more.

The Quicks, Mitchells, and Penns, are all reels that I appreciate and work on regularly.  I have been fortunate over the years to accumulate a fair sized parts inventory for these old heros.  And I have around 400 Mitchell's, and about 350 complete Quicks in stock.

Nothing gives me more satisfaction than restoring a vintage quality reel for an older person -- who had thought it was impossible to get parts for.  Maybe it was a reel they fished with as a young man, or it belonged to someone's Dad or Grandfather -- and had a lot of good memories attached to it.  It's really not always about the money -- there are enough other reels to work on that I get paid well for servicing -- like Daron sez...it is about enjoying your passion and paying it forward.

And Mike, I also think a lot of the old Penn Green spinners -- hard to find a better spinning reel than an old 700 series Penn, a D.A.M. Quick  Super, or a Mitchell.

Best Regards,

Fred

P

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

Fred

I did a 714 for someone About 18 months ago. I had to remove the drag washers from the Spool with a Hammer & Screw Driver Ordered new complete drags & installed after cleaning. The reel worked perfect after servicing the body. These reels are one of the best old reels there are.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

johndtuttle

Shark Hunter

Fred,
I would love to walk through that shop of yours just once. That is a really impressive setup you have there! ;)
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 01, 2014, 09:17:58 PM
Fred,
I would love to walk through that shop of yours just once. That is a really impressive setup you have there! ;)

Absolutely!! Passion and organization in those pix. Inspirational.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

floating doc

Amazing photos! I agree, I would love a tour of the shop.
Central Florida

Big Tim

If you didn't sell off a bunch of stuff Fred you didn't show all  ;D Very impressive.

Tim

basto

I had one of these reels long ago ...think it was a 220?  loved that crinkle finish on the body....just like an expensive camera was then.  I once saw a DAM Ultralite reel that had a magnetic drag.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

The 220 is a great size reel -- comparable to a Mitchell 300 -- only much stronger with double frame supported steel worm-drive, bronze main gear, oversize ball bearing, aluminum bodies and rotors, no pot metal anywhere inside or out.

Crisp, strong bail action.

A fairly rare Quick that I really like is the 221. 

Same size as a 220 -- but has 5-1 high speed gears instead of 3-1, longer crank for more torque, has a red S on the side denoting high speed.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.