D.A.M. Quick 110N -- Bullet Proof Little Microlite

Started by foakes, June 28, 2014, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Where can I find a schematic for the 110n?

I just got one.  I like the gearing. 

I'm not wild about the anti reverse.  Too much noise.  Any suggestions for quieting it?

Are the 110/265 any quieter?

foakes

Quote from: Balvar24 on July 27, 2019, 07:01:56 PM
Where can I find a schematic for the 110n?

I just got one.  I like the gearing.  

I'm not wild about the anti reverse.  Too much noise.  Any suggestions for quieting it?

Are the 110/265 any quieter?

— Here is a schematic and parts list

— No way to quiet the A/R too much...once you work and fish the DQ's — you may gain an appreciation for
   the way they are designed...simple, tough, reliable, and capable far beyond their target range.  At least
   for me, I am confident the A/R is working, since I know the design engineering, and can hear the click
   without looking.  The "silent" A/R bearings on more modern reels use a A/R roller bearing — which when
   used even without being "pushed" — will fail at some point. The DQ systems seldom fail, unless old dry
   grease has been allowed to accumulate.  In that case, a quick clean and flush will cure the issue.

— 110 & 265 are also audible A/R's — only both are different designs.  The A/R on a 110N uses the inside
   of the rotor and a spring loaded dog.  The 110 uses a spring loaded pin on the underside of the main
   gear, every 45 degrees it clicks.  And the 265 has a spring loaded dog on the underside of the main gear.

— All very good reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Thanks.

I've always quieted my Mitchells by throwing the grease to the AR gear.  I don't think I want to do that to the bell.

Got it back together.  I don't think it had been serviced before.  Nice and tight.  Well built.

I added a drop of Kroil to the grease before I buttoned it up.  May have been a mistake, but man do it make the gears spin!

Fleminski

Hi Fred!
This is my first day on the site and you are the lucky one to get my first request. I am not in the business of repairing reels for others, but I have several of my own that I am trying to get back into shape. I just bought 9 spinning reels. Most are Mitchell 300's and 308's with a 400 and a 410 thrown in. The odd one of the bunch is a D.A.M. 110N.  I have fallen in love with it, and have been doing some research and decided to take it apart, lube it and fish with it. I've succeed so far as to get the old dark grease out of it, and lube it is best as I could. Believe it or not the hardest thing to get back together is the handle. I can not get the stem tightened down enough to slip the little pin through the handle. Can you share with me a location that I can get a schematic diagram of the 110N that is legible so I can check to see if I have the parts in sequence? The fish are biting and I'm getting more frustrated by the minute.  Thanks in advance for any direction and wisdom.
Best,

happyhooker

Greetings, Fleminski, from Minnesota & glad you're with us on the site.

If you click on the schematic Fred posted earlier, it will appear in a form where you can enlarge it and see everything in great detail (at least, that is what happens for me using the Chromium browser.)

Frank

foakes

Quote from: happyhooker on September 02, 2020, 09:03:39 PM
Greetings, Fleminski, from Minnesota & glad you're with us on the site.

If you click on the schematic Fred posted earlier, it will appear in a form where you can enlarge it and see everything in great detail (at least, that is what happens for me using the Chromium browser.)

Frank

Frank is correct --

With the parts in sequence installed -- just screw the thumb crank nut all of the way towards the housing -- install the friction washer -- using a chunk of wood or hard rubber to support the handle -- line up the holes using a small nail or pick -- then just tap the keeper pin into the crank and crank axle using a small hammer and a 1/8" or 3/32" punch to finish it off flush.  If done right -- using a small brass jewelers hammer -- you won't even need the punch to set the pin -- it will set flush.

Welcome!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fleminski

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated! Got everything put back together finally on the 110N....Was proud of my accomplishment until I noticed a small lock washer that was omitted lying on my work bench. Argh! Don't feel like breaking the reel down again to find where it belongs until I get the schematic. Without one it reminds me of fishing in deep water without a fish locator.
Best,

foakes

Quote from: Fleminski on September 03, 2020, 10:59:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated! Got everything put back together finally on the 110N....Was proud of my accomplishment until I noticed a small lock washer that was omitted lying on my work bench. Argh! Don't feel like breaking the reel down again to find where it belongs until I get the schematic. Without one it reminds me of fishing in deep water without a fish locator.
Best,

Guess I am not sure what kind of schematic you want, Flem? --

This thread has had over 101,000 looks -- and the factory schematic and parts list from  D.A.M. Quick is posted just above your initial post -- and again on page 6.  Frank indicated to you that all you needed to do was click on the photo to get a sharp picture of all of the parts and details.

If you are having difficulties accessing the photos -- just let us know, and we will help you.

In the meantime -- the reel has (4) lock washers -- of which all are necessary -- for the reel to function without jamming up.

If you post a pic of the one you have left over -- I can tell you where it goes and the easiest and quickest method of attaching it without taking the entire reel apart.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Wompus Cat

Fred there appears that there are way too many Tall Rounded Leafy items  to view the wooded area in this scenario.
Might offer to fly out to their location with a copy or take the tools and parts to fix it on the spot .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

Lookin at the enlarged view of the parts list, I see only 1 part termed "lock washer" for the 110-N, #100-069. However the diffrent part # that would show on the view of the disassembled reel may be listed, but hidden in the crease of of the folded over page. I do see some "C" clips(sometimes called "e" clips?) in Fred's photo, would those be called "lock washers"?

Lookin at this thread 'cause I finally indulged my lust for a 265 Microlite and it came with an extra spool marked on the underside "110". The plastic feelin 110 spool is too tall to wind line evenly on this model Microlite. Will give away or better yet, trade for an AR spring for the 265. Mine did the usual leap into nowhere land during the rebuild.
BTW, there is 1 typical lock washer on the 265. On the handle assembly, between the ball-end of the handle and the thumb nut. Or, did someone do a half-assed("Gfish type") repair on a loose handle? I see tool strike marks from pin removal/installation...

PM if you want the 110 spool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

I will take the 110 spool, Greg --

And trade you any parts you need for your new 265 Microlite.

Let me know the parts you need -- and I'll mail them to you.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Wompus Cat

QuoteMine did the usual leap into nowhere land during the rebuild.

All those parts like that accumulate over many years in Molecular Time and Space Worm Holes and come back as used Coat Hangers

BTW, there is 1 typical lock washer on the 265. On the handle assembly, between the ball-end of the handle and the thumb nut. Or, did someone do a half-assed("Gfish type") repair on a loose handle?

Most of these Reels have a flat or Thin Wave type washer there .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

Ok. Thanks WC. I'mina focus on the the AR sys. first, it's so loose, I'll start with that spring. I discovered that the threads on the handle assembly are stripped at a certain point, so that'll be next. Got a reel not worth what I paid for it...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on January 06, 2021, 03:24:56 PM
Ok. Thanks WC. I'mina focus on the the AR sys. first, it's so loose, I'll start with that spring. I discovered that the threads on the handle assembly are stripped at a certain point, so that'll be next. Got a reel not worth what I paid for it...

Hang in there, Greg —

We are fortunate to have these NOS parts available — on the way to you today.

Haven't been to the Post Office in a couple of weeks with everything going on here in California.  This has been sitting on my outgoing shelf for a couple of weeks.

I will slice open your Priority Box with the new Cardinal metal spool, and the A/R spring for the DQ 265 Microlite — and slip this in.  You should have it in a few days.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.